Join now - be part of our community!

Sony WH-1000XM3 Muting in the Cold

profile.country.US.title
bugzy3188
Explorer

Sony WH-1000XM3 Muting in the Cold

Is there a way to turn off gesture control on the 1000XM3s? It barely works in optimal conditions and when standing outisde in cold weather they will consistently register swipes (even though nothing has touched the headphones), either turning volume up/down or skipping tracks and after about 1 minute they will mute as if I am holding my hand over the right ear. Any suggestions?

244 REPLIES 244
Cosmonor
New

Here is the update information:

"Software Update

The latest version is available on the following devices. Please update with a reliable internet connection and Bluetooth connection with the headphones.
It will optimize the headphones for Amazon Alexa. Get help on the go using just your voice.
When Amazon Alexa is enabled, the [NC/Ambient] button will change. You can change function of the button with Headphones Connect.
  • Amazon Alexa is not available in all languages and countries. Requires pairing with eligible phone and internet connection.
  • Updates may be released at different times depending on countries or regions.

New feature : WH-1000XM3

The new features listed below will be available by updating the app and the software* for the headphones to the latest versions.
  • Enabling/Disabling of Voice Guidance
  • Changing the Voice Guidance Language
*Software update may be released at different times depending on countries or regions.

Notification to iOS 10 user

Starting with version 5.0, Sony | Headphones Connect for iOS will only be available on iOS 11 or later. Please be aware that if your device is running iOS 10, you will not be able to run Sony | Headphones Connect for iOS Ver. 5.0 or any subsequent versions.
You will still be able to continue running Sony | Headphones Connect Ver. 4.1.1 on iOS 10. However, we will not provide any earlier versions of Sony | Headphones Connect, so if you uninstall Sony | Headphones Connect less than Ver. 4.1.1 from a device running iOS 10, be aware that you will not be able to install the same version again."

I am now finally able to turn off the annoying Voice Guidance when i want to switch between the different NC modes. On the downside, it won't tell me the battery level.
profile.country.SE.title
johane73

I'm not sure if its my imagination but I seems like the ANC is not as good as it was when I first bought the headphones. This morning on the tube I could clearly hear the people near me talk... I have looked at the ANC settings but its set to block out everything...

I updated the headphones this morning hoping that it would solve some of the other issues (even though they werent mentioned) and just thought I'd issue a heads up to anyone about to upgrade. Even though the battery reported 100% when I started they were drained when the upgrade was done, so make sure the headphones are charged fully.

profile.country.SE.title
adrian_vg

It sure blocks our youngest when he's throwing a tantrum...:grimacing:

profile.country.SE.title
adrian_vg

The "charge your headset"-comment can't be stressed enough.
I just installed a new voice, after fully recharging and the completed update, Swedish, to my headset and it drained the battery - again.

Seems fishy these upgrades need that much power, or is this by design?

profile.country.IE.title
arnolfini
Explorer

Have to admit, I'd noticed the ANC being less effective lately too, but
thought it was just in my head. I particularly notice very treble-y noises
coming through.

For example, waiting for the bus this morning, I was really noticing the
noise of passing cars' tyres on the wet road - like a hissing noise. It
almost sounded like the listen in function was partially on or something
like that, as the sound was clear rather than muffled, as if it was being
picked up by the external mic and fed through the headphones.

I also double-checked the ANC, and it was fully turned on to its maximum
level.
profile.country.CA.title
K1ng_Bread

Installed the patch yesterday , didn't walked a long time this morning but noticed that the touchpad wouldn't respond to anything while I was walking, so probably not fixed still.

As for the ANC (you should probably start a new topic for that) I do find the ANC overall to be better on the XM2's , I can hear stuff now that I couldn't hear before. No signs of degradation though.

profile.country.CA.title
K1ng_Bread

Start to wonder if they even still sell the XM3's at the moment, just looked in Canada and both Best Buy and Amazon are completly out of stock , might be a sign of things to come.

profile.country.SE.title
adrian_vg

The XM4's are on the way! 😉

//Sorin
K___evin
Explorer

I also have this issue, I went for a run with my new headphones today in Berlin. The temperature is only 0 degrees but this is enough to make the headset skip songs play and pause and continuously activate the full hand on the right ear cup gesture.. 

The headphones are useless if you step outside in weather 0 or below. If there was a way to stop gestures this might fix the problem.

Additionally I’ve noticed that the headphones gestures crash Spotify on my iPhone 😅

Do we know if this is a hardware issue or can be fixed with a software update? 

profile.country.CA.title
Dmoney21
Explorer

It's -37 today in Toronto and touch pad is completely useless. Even with power cycles.