Join now - be part of our community!

WH-1000XM3 Terrible call quality (background noise)

profile.country.GB.title
mustafa.arif
Explorer

WH-1000XM3 Terrible call quality (background noise)

I have just bought these headphones and the audio quality on calls is terrible. People I speak with on the phone report that the microphone is dampening my voice, making it sound echo-ey, whilst at the same time picking up ambient noise. Indeed, most report that the ambient noise is clearer than my voice! I'm not tryign to make calls in a particularly noisy environment - just a regular office.

Any ideas?

Tags (3)
85 REPLIES 85
profile.country.SE.title
Octado

I had the same problem. I returned them and got another pair (from the same retail chain, elgiganten in Sweden) and the new pair was ok. No echo and clear audio on other end.

After updating the new pair to SW 2.0.0 I hear my own voice a little more, but sound is OK on the other end according to the person I talked to.

Off-topic, but after the update there is more static noise during noise canceling mode (no music/call ongoing) I think, so unless you care really much about using the voice assistant (which is the only improvement in the new firmware according to SONY), I suggest holding off with updating the firmware since it is not possible to downgrade. 

profile.country.GB.title
hjs8hshi23
Explorer

I don't know if what you're describing is exactly the same problem I'm having.

What I've noticed is that when I'm calling (paired with iPhone using FaceTime but same with normal calls) it's like the noise cancelling is not working so I hear a lot of noises from the background and it's hard to hear what the other person on the call is saying.

Is anyone else experiencing the same problem? My 4 years old headphones with noise cancelling were dealing with calls much better which is a shame! I haven't updated to latest firmware yet as it just adds some Android stuff I couldn't care less if I tried (no offence, it's just I wouldn't risk to brick my headphones for something I wouldn't use).

Bear in mind improved mics was one of the reasons I spend more money on this rather than getting the MX2...

profile.country.SE.title
Octado

I've tested the update for a few days now. Can't say I hear myself much (if
at all). The other person can't tell I'm using a headset during calls. I'd
go ahead and update! Remember it's only software (new bugs can always be
corrected in later firmware).

Good luck and let us know how it went 🙂
paplorinc
New

I have the same problem, the mic sounds like this guys's: https://youtu.be/cZwr8D-qYHk?t=160

Should I return the unit?

Mic test on Apple Wireless AirPods, Bose QuietComfort 35 II, Bose Soundsport Free, B&O E8, Bowers & Wilkins PX, Plantronics Headset V5200, Sony WH-1000XM2, Sony WH-1000XM3, WF-1000X and WF-SP700N. All are the best wireless headphones and the best wireless earbuds you can buy in the market. We have
profile.country.SE.title
Octado

Do what I did. Call sony support (using handset). Tell them you are having
problems with the headphones call sound quality, switch over to the
headphones and demonstrate during the call.

They told me to return them, and will probably tell you the same if you
have the problem I had. Good luck.
profile.country.SE.title
Octado

Love the review and agree with everything! (but you may have posted in the
wrong discussion thread, since it is about people who have call quality
issues with their specific pairs 😜).

Since I got my pair replaced the only thing negative I have to say is that
I hold off on taking showers just because I never take these headphones off
😅
profile.country.SE.title
Octado

@mustafa.arif How did it go? Was your issue resolved with a replacement? Please update to help other with the same issue because these (my replacement pair) headphones are really great :slight_smile:

profile.country.AU.title
Stevoh1
Explorer

Love these headphones but unfortunately phone calls are absolutely terrible, most people I talk to using $450 wh-1000xm3 ask me to stop using and go back to just using my mobile, I've got a an $80 pair of Tao Electronics headphones and the phone call function is 100% perfect, I'm pretty unhappy Sony!!!!!!!!!😤☹️😠

profile.country.SE.title
Octado

@Stevoh1 wrote:

Love these headphones but unfortunately phone calls are absolutely terrible, most people I talk to using $450 wh-1000xm3 ask me to stop using and go back to just using my mobile, I've got a an $80 pair of Tao Electronics headphones and the phone call function is 100% perfect, I'm pretty unhappy Sony!!!!!!!!!😤☹️😠

@Stevoh1 please see my posts in this thread.

@mustafa.arif again, please update your original post with the solution (have the headphones replaced).