Join now - be part of our community!

Android Gesture Navigation

imramees
Visitor

Android Gesture Navigation

I use an Xperia XA2 as my primary device and was very excited for the update to Android 9 Pie. However, when the update finally rolled out, I was terribly disappointed that the brand had skipped on the Gesture Navigations, one of the very basic changes from the orevious version of Android. 

Just because I am a very loyal Sony user since the beginning of days, I took the trouble of importing my Xperia XA2 from the Middle East as Sony stopped their smartphone releases in India.

All that trouble and expense just to use a Sony product, and now we don't even get basic NAVIGATION GESTURES from a major update?! I have waited so long thinking that Sony MIGHT release an update with the gestures but Android 10 is already out and 11 is on its way. Still no budge from such a huge brand? Absolute shame Sony. Really wasn't expecting such disappointment.

2 REPLIES 2
profile.country.PH.title
MarlonUk1
Expert

hello @imramees 

unfortunately all manufactures do this, that have the options not to implement certain features of android updates. im not sure if this is availble in XA2 but if you check your settings in the home settings, you can enable Swipe up. 

profile.country.GB.title
RottenFoxBreath
Enthusiast

Either Settings - System - Gestures - "Swipe on Home button" and enable it, or if that's not there, then Settings - Accessibility - Navigation Gestures.

Failing that, Android 9 on your phone, does not have Gestures, and in that case, only Android 10 will, which is what the majority of Android phones that have Gestures will run. 

Bear in mind that Gestures was mainly a Pixel thing pre-10 phones, although some manufacturers did implement it.

As your phone is older than 2 years old, it's had its life supported, as the usual support lifetime is around 2 years.

You can install an unofficial 10 update, but that would involve you googling it and doing it yourself.