Join now - be part of our community!

HELP PLEASE -- OCCASIONAL SCRATCHY SOUND (like static) EMANATES FROM SPEAKER AT END OF CALLS

JanieD
Visitor

HELP PLEASE -- OCCASIONAL SCRATCHY SOUND (like static) EMANATES FROM SPEAKER AT END OF CALLS

Hello...I have occasionally noticed a lingering, scratchy noise (like static) out of the speaker that will continue after some calls (not every) have been ended.  When it occurs, it will usually continue until I tap the power button.  It will stop and everything goes back to normal -- even with subsequent calls, but I'm wondering why it should happen at all.  This is an intermittent issue -- does not occur after ending EVERY call...or even regularly when ending calls from specific numbers or contacts, AND I don't think it has to do with being maxed on the volume setting because it has happened at lesser levels as well, making it difficult to understand what triggers it. 

The phone has never been dropped and beyond its protective hard-shell/rubberized combo case and tempered glass, I  also keep the entire phone in a full, additionally padded, wet-suit material sleeve because it's such a large screen that I have opted to take neurotic measures about protecting from Day-1.  So, believe me...this thing is ALWAYS being treated with kid gloves!

Has anyone else experienced this?  Does anyone have any guidance to offer?  Thank you!

16 REPLIES 16
JanieD
Visitor

Hey there...just to let you know I DID try this via different carrier (from friend's phone), however, because I can't recreate the problem on demand, my SIM could still not be narrowed down as the culprit.  I have gone a full week at this time and it's only happened once.  I know the site would like me to indicate a solution has been determined...but I just can't because that would suggest to any others experiencing the same, that THIS is what will resolve it.

JanieD
Visitor

Hey Nick...I feel your pain.  The problem is trying to recreate the event on demand -- you just can't do it.  And...it never fails -- it's like taking your car in for service because you hear a terrible clicking or clunking sound and when the mechanic is checking into it -- NADA -- and they think you've lost your mind.

Disheartening but liveable once-in-awhile, I guess, while you can abbreviate it.  I just hope it won't BECOME a consistent problem over time that you can't.

Realscot
Visitor

Hi, I have the same issue, randomly also.

It happens most with me when i'm having my phone read an ebook to me while its in my pocket and i'm out walking the dogs.  Get almost like a crackle distortion from loud speaker sometimes.  I can only assume that some sort of atmospheric condition is causing the speaker to distort sometimes.

I wish that was the only issue I was having!

niveth
Visitor

I also have the same issue, it's not a network issue. I believe it is a software/hardware issue. It comes when you end a phone call on loudspeaker, it usually goes away in like 5-10 seconds, but if you play the media player or if it was playing before you had taken the call, the static noise will continue over the music, but not as noticeable. Pause the music and you will hear it again, just make sure you pause the audio and wait till the sound goes away. If not, you might have to restart the phone. Once it wouldn't go off, because I was playing music for a while with the static in the background. I learnt to live the issue, not a biggie. It happens here and there, infront of your friends, and they will start saying Sony .

SarahM
Visitor

i have a Sony Xperia XA1 Ultra and I am having the very same. It works perfectly when i have headsets on but as soon as I take it out it makes this sound. and the weird thing is i cant hear it only the person on the other side.

What do i do? this only started today.

PLEASE HELP!!!

JanieD
Visitor

Sarah...

This sounds a little different from what I've been experiencing.  I ve never used a headset so I don't know if it's related.  This "static" happens occasionally when I end a call -- when speakerphone has been active on the call.  And, thankfully, the problem hasn't seemed to increase in regularity over time.  It's pretty much stayed the same since I first presented the issue.  Doesn't happen on every call...and often I'll go a week, two or three without any such event at all.  The sound doesn't last long -- 5 or 10 seconds, and since it only happens when a call has ended, whoever I had been speaking to during the call never hears it.  I don't believe it has happened when I've been listening to music...either directly on my phone or when it's been connected via a Bluetooth speaker -- just after ending calls.

30a
Visitor

Sony has to solve this problem. It's really very boring for a company like this