Join now - be part of our community!

Trim Video: Unsupported format. Try another video

SOLVED
jfleisher
Visitor

Trim Video: Unsupported format. Try another video

I haven't recorded much video with my Sony XA Ultra. I recorded a short video this past weekend. It's approximately 28 seconds.

When I tried to share the video to an MMS it said the video is too long.

When I tried to trip the video using the Trim Video menu item it launched Video Editor and immediately told me "Unsupported video format. Try another video"

Any ideas. How do I record a video that the phone can actually edit and share?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
jfleisher
Visitor

Here is what I found out. If I lower the video from Full HD to HD when I record it I can edit the video in Video Editor. At this point I assume that the Full HD video on The XA Ultra, and probably other Android devices with HD or 4K video capability won't be supported for editing in Android.

Any confirmation on that assumption?

Because of the limited builtin memory on the XA ultra I've tried to disable a lot of apps I think I won't need in order to free space. Is it possible I've disabled the application Sony provided for editing videos? Is there an Xperia specific video editor I should be using?

(Some apps just won't move to the SD card, and I'm still at 95% usage of main memory. This is a huge pain on this phone. Never buying a phone with less than 16Gb main memory again.)

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
CameronT
Champion

Hi @jfleisher,

Welcome to the community.

You are going to have a very difficult time sending a video as an MMS these days. The camera quality is too good and the limitation on MMS set by your network is too small.

You are better off using Google Drive or Dropbox etc and sending the link.

jfleisher
Visitor

Agreed. Didn't mean to confuse the issues. My issue is I can't edit a video on the phone with the built in video editor. The question isn't really about MMS. It's about the Trim Video option and the built-in Video Editor on the phone. I think it's the standard Android Video Editor.

jfleisher
Visitor

Here is what I found out. If I lower the video from Full HD to HD when I record it I can edit the video in Video Editor. At this point I assume that the Full HD video on The XA Ultra, and probably other Android devices with HD or 4K video capability won't be supported for editing in Android.

Any confirmation on that assumption?

Because of the limited builtin memory on the XA ultra I've tried to disable a lot of apps I think I won't need in order to free space. Is it possible I've disabled the application Sony provided for editing videos? Is there an Xperia specific video editor I should be using?

(Some apps just won't move to the SD card, and I'm still at 95% usage of main memory. This is a huge pain on this phone. Never buying a phone with less than 16Gb main memory again.)