Join now - be part of our community!

Xperia companion

profile.country.GB.title
Paulpocock
Explorer

Xperia companion

I've recently re-downloaded Xperia Companion.

It connected to phone OK.

It also let me start a complete backup.

However two thirds up the backup bar it stated that there was a back up error.

It sows that 6 out of 75 'other' failed and music, photos, videos plus data such as contacts have all failed.

Ive switched off app and rebooted on laptop (Samsung) but still fails.

Ive uninstalled companion and reinstalled again. Still fails

Any ideas much appreciated

5 REPLIES 5
profile.country.US.title
Qatrium
Expert

Hello @Paulpocock 

If you notice that the backup process is failing at the same point, try removing the option "Others" and preferably "Settings" in your next backup. Also, make sure that you have enough space on your C drive in case you have lots of media to backup.

profile.country.GB.title
Paulpocock
Explorer

Thanks. Will look into that. As for space, lots. One of the reasons I've got the problems. I put lappy back to factory settings so reinstalling apps. About 400gb.

profile.country.GB.title
Paulpocock
Explorer

Oh forgot. Yes I thought I'd circumnavigate it by doing something like that with only selecting data category and ditching the rest but still failed.

I'm wondering if theres a conflict with portals? But then it seems to back up most of 'others' so there must be an open link of access between phone and lappy.

profile.country.GB.title
Paulpocock
Explorer

Right, firstly thanks for your input.

Secondly, resolved... Hooray!!!😊

The problem is that 'Other' is the first part to be backed up. If that fails then it doesn't continue to photos/films and them music. It stops right there end of backup.

'Other' includes apps. I had 7 it wouldn't accept. I had to delete them. Then it was perfectly OK. One of the apps was the oyster app, which keeps you up to date with the state of your 'oystercard' widely used in London for getting about the city, so very commonenly used. Others were all map apps and language apps.

What a crock of sh*te Companion can be. Again thanks for your interest. I hope this helps others.

profile.country.US.title
Qatrium
Expert

@Paulpocock 

Great that it all worked for you in the end.

The reason we usually advise against including "Others" and "Settings" in backup is not just reducing the failure chances, but also to allow a "real" fresh start in case you're performing a hard reset. Usually, apps or settings are the cause of most instabilities.