Join now - be part of our community!

How do I edit group message settings on XZ3??

ejim15
Visitor

How do I edit group message settings on XZ3??

I recently switched to Sony after using Samsung products for many years. I noticed when I get a group text, a message appears that reads "This conversation is now a mass text, each recipient will get an SMS message from you." If I respond, everyone gets an individual text which confuses people.

If I try start a group text it won't even allow me to send a message. A bubble pops up which reads "To send this message go to settings and change your group messaging to group MMS."

The problem is that this setting is nowhere to be found. I can't find it using instructions on the Sony support page, the setting is simply not there. I contacted my phone carrier and they tried sending my phone an update but nothing changed. They said they can't troubleshoot the issue further because I bought the phone factory unlocked from Sony and their settings may be different.

Does anyone know how to solve this issue or where to find the group message settings on the XZ3 running Android 9??

8 REPLIES 8
profile.country.US.title
Qatrium
Expert

@los_vientos

This setting is related to Google's Messaging app. You can find it by opening Messaging app -> tap on the 3-dot icon on the top right corner -> Settings -> Advanced -> Group messaging -> choose "Send an MMS reply to all recipients (group MMS)"

ejim15
Visitor

Yes I found the instructions you shared on Sony's support page, however those settings are not displaying on my device using Google's Messages App. These are screen shots of the message I get, the first settings page, and the advanced settings page. There are no group settings anywhere. 

_20190108_155101.JPG

Screenshot_20190108-154900.png

Screenshot_20190108-154920.png

profile.country.AT.title
skycamefalling
Contributor

I can't see your pictures (yet), might be they need to be processed by a Moderator first.

Anyhow, I have the setting where I can switch from SMS to Group MMS, it's the first option on the top in the advanced settings. I'll attach a screenshot to show you.

_20190109_193501.JPG

If this option is not there on your phone, might it be that MMS aren't enabled on your phone at all? Maybe it's not allowed by your provider or a setting is missing?

Open "Phone Settings --> Network" and click on "Internet settings download" to see if this helps.

tamsterman
Visitor

This is very sad Sony support for Mobile Device.  I also purchased the XZ3 international version, and the message setting does not even show "Group Message" liked mentioned in the instruction.

I've read and researched many information and it is from the Android implementation from Sony that disables such feature.

So far, I love XZ3; but from engineering support activities, this is the major flaw of this product.

Danny316
Visitor

I have the exact same problem,  cannot send MMS to group, it split it and send it individually to each person when I text SMS too.  I cannot change the group text in settings because it does not show up that option.

I need help as well

I have the H9493 model, Taiwan variant, if that helps.

ejim15
Visitor

I downloaded Textra and have been using that as my default message app with no problems. For some reason the Google messages app is missing settings on newer Sony phones. I can now send and receive group mms messages normally. I hope this help you as well. 

profile.country.AU.title
masshead
New

I've got the same issue with Xperia 1 ii - which is really strange because I think it used to be possible - 

Any progress here guys? 

profile.country.GB.title
HannahEd01
Community Team

Hi masshead, this feature isn't available on the phone itself. You can use a third-party app.