Join now - be part of our community!

A7C II shutter release wired remote solution?

profile.country.GB.title

A7C II shutter release wired remote solution?

January 2024

Sony A7C II

Has anyone found a compatible wired remote that plugs into the camera's USB-C port?

Since the A7C II doesn't have a Multi port my existing remote/intervalometer now appears to be obsolete.

I know I can use my mobile phone to trigger the shutter, I've tried it a few times but I find it gimmicky - I much prefer a dedicated remote that's physically attached to the camera so I can manually perform long exposures in Bulb mode (waterfalls, sea, stars etc.)

Either a USB-C remote or an adaptor cable from Multi to USB-C would do.

6 REPLIES 6
profile.country.IT.title
Marino.Manolo
Genius
profile.country.GB.title

Thanks for the reply, it looks like wireless is the only option at the moment.

(I've ordered a Smallrig 3902 Bluetooth remote for now, just to see how good/frustrating I find it)

profile.country.GB.title
StevieJMac
Explorer

I hope someone does make a wired remote as i need shoot move shoot operation for my camera slider.

I,ve been searching the web for ages trying to find one but no luck yet.

Maybe a firmware update will allow the usb c connection on the A7Cii to used with one.

profile.country.GB.title

it shouldn't be too difficult since I can already control START/STOP in video mode via a USB-C cable when connected to a Ronin gimbal (as well as being able to control things like focus, iris etc.).

We just need Sony to make a 'smart' USB-C cable or a dongle that converts USB-C to Multi Port.

profile.country.GB.title
SatoruGojo
Community Team

@StevieJMac try to follow the steps here for the remote shooting: LINK

profile.country.GB.title

Thanks for the solution but I don't think this addresses Stevie's problem in this specific situation: you're suggesting tethering to a laptop (with I have tried successfully), but in his/her scenario the camera relies on the slider to trigger the shutter at very specific intervals in-between the incremental moves known as 'Shoot-move-shoot'. The only way to achieve this successfully with most sliders is via a cable. Traditionally this would have been a USB-A to Sony Multi cable (similar to a micro USB) but since the A7Cii doesn't have a Multi port any more the only other available port is the USB-C, but a USB-A to USB-C cable that is compatible with this particular Sony camera currently doesn't appear to exist.

What myself and others in this thread are asking is for a hardwired solution to trigger the shutter on the A7Cii, either in the form of a pocket intervalometer or a dongle-adaptor. Carrying a laptop around isn't practical in most outdoor scenarios and I personally don't like using a smartphone as a remote with it's unreliable Bluetooth and WiFi.