Join now - be part of our community!

amazon app

profile.country.GB.title
stewartgordon4

amazon app

i have just got the ubp-x700 i was checking the amazon app on the player and i found the same problem with the app as i am having on my kd65-zd9 which i have been having since feb 2017 i got this player on 15 01 2018 does any one know why this is happening

18 REPLIES 18
profile.country.IT.title
marcobremb

Nougat is the same terrible experience.

And it's simly unbelievable that they don't want to spend time for fix this.

I mean... it's a CLEAR problem. Everyone has it. Why not try to fix it? WHY?

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

A Prime Video app is on the horizon. Hopefully it will change things for the better.

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

I just watched Spectre on Amazon. About every 1-5 minutes I had video judder and audio dropouts of 1-2 seconds. Veeeery annoying.

Switching from Dolby 5.1 audio to stereo PCM improves the situation quite a bit. Instead of a dropout I am only hearing a subtle distortion at times. To me it clearly looks like an A/V synchronization issue.

profile.country.GB.title
Jecht_Sin
Enthusiast

So, as @Kuschelmonschter is already aware of, I have eventually found and installed the Amazon Video apk for the Nvida Shield, version 4.2.43 on my 49XD8099 with Android 7.0 (ATV2).

I tested it a bit and the experience is waaay superior. I may still get some minor audio stuttering, especially after starting the videos, but nothing as awful as with the stock app (audio constantly dropping every few seconds). The subtitles look a bit different as well, thinnier, more like in the Prime Video app for the Apple TV 4K (which I happily own and I have zero stuttering with it. All right, the ATV 4K has an 8-10x more powerful CPU...). But I have been told it doesn't improve much on ATV1. Probably due to the weaker CPU.

The interesting thing is that it is actually a second Amazon Video app, the Application ID is different and so one gets the two copies installed. In case it works one may just disable the stock Amazon Video app (eventually re-enabling it after an Android update. If that will contain a new version for Amazon Video as well). Also, the one for Nvidia takes much more disc space. I think around 140-50MB vs the 50-60MB of the stock app. Maybe because it is a system app and somehow Android doesn't count the space on /System..

I have the apk on my Google Drive, but I am afraid I can't share it, because the link would be most certainly removed.. Still one should be able to find the link in reddit, googling for "finding prime video for android tv apk reddit". Then search in the reddit discussion.

PS: Oh, yeah, I forgot. Changing the volume from the TV remote or going into settings it still stutters..

profile.country.GB.title
Sean_Mc

Hi Stewart,

It would be extremely useful if you could reply to the last email you received from Sony with a short video showing the juddering while playing content through the player.

As for the issue on the TV, a new firmware update will be released in the upcoming weeks to address the issue.

Thanks,

Sean Mc

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

Jecht_Sin schrieb:
I tested it a bit and the experience is waaay superior. I may still get some minor audio stuttering, especially after starting the videos, but nothing as awful as with the stock app (audio constantly dropping every few seconds). The subtitles look a bit different as well, thinnier, more like in the Prime Video app for the Apple TV 4K (which I happily own and I have zero stuttering with it. All right, the ATV 4K has an 8-10x more powerful CPU...). But I have been told it doesn't improve much on ATV1. Probably due to the weaker CPU.

Stock 4.1.70 works the same for me as sideloaded nVIDIA 4.2.43. I am not experiencing audio drops every few seconds though, but every few mintues. Such an audio drop lasts for about 1-2s.

profile.country.DK.title
SonyCPH
Explorer

In my opinion it is not a Sony problem, as the problem is also present on the Philips Android TVs

profile.country.GB.title
Jecht_Sin
Enthusiast

@Kuschelmonschter wrote:

Stock 4.1.70 works the same for me as sideloaded nVIDIA 4.2.43. I am not experiencing audio drops every few seconds though, but every few mintues. Such an audio drop lasts for about 1-2s.

Oh, so the stock app (also later release) is much worse on mine. With the Nvidia app I get more a situation like yours. Or no issues at all after the first 2 seconds.

@SonyCPH wrote:

In my opinion it is not a Sony problem, as the problem is also present on the Philips Android TVs

Sure it is Amazon fault. But it's partially Sony responisibility as well because if a new Amazon Video app is ready (as I think i have read it is), it's up to Sony to deliver it via a new firmware update. Let's see in February is a new Amazon Video version gets released.

profile.country.IT.title
marcobremb

Jecht_Sin ha scritto:

Sure it is Amazon fault. But it's partially Sony responisibility as well because if a new Amazon Video app is ready (as I think i have read it is), it's up to Sony to deliver it via a new firmware update. Let's see in February is a new Amazon Video version gets released.

I agree with you.

We need a software update. Last update was in October... 

Also the security patch still is August 2017