Join now - be part of our community!

Burning plastic smell from a certain spot. What's this component called? Sony KD-55XF9005

profile.country.LV.title
gustavs

Burning plastic smell from a certain spot. What's this component called? Sony KD-55XF9005

I am getting a burning plastic smell coming from this spot at the back of the tv when watching it for a few hours:

EDIT: For some reason I cannot upload the image of the tv with the source of the smell marked, but it's the mid-left side of the back vents.

I took the TV to warranty, they said it's due to dust inside the TV, that they cleaned it and the smell should be gone. But the smell still persists. I found a video online where the back of the TV is taken off, what's this component called? Maybe I can give the warranty guys some clues if they can't find it themselves. :slight_smile: 

Screenshot_9.png

Pretty worried about my and my families health, and I literally bought this tv 3 months ago, didn't expect to have these kinds of issues right off the bat and to have to replace it that soon. :slight_smile:

8 REPLIES 8
profile.country.GB.title
jumpsuit
Expert

Hi @gustavs  :slight_smile:

Can you confrim if someone has been in touch with you about this yet?

(I know they were due to contact you.)

Thanks

profile.country.LV.title
gustavs

Nobody has been in touch with me, but I've negotiated with the warranty repair service that I will take the TV back to them and they will take another look.

Who was supposed to get in touch with me regarding this?

Thank you for replying!

profile.country.GB.title
jumpsuit
Expert

Hi again :slight_smile:

Support had you on their list to contact.

Please let us know how you get on after the repair service have had another look.

Thanks.

profile.country.LV.title
gustavs

I took the TV back to warranty again today, and they refused to take a second look. They told me to contact Sony directly.

They said that the burning smell is normal. They said that the smell is varnish coating (English is not my native language, so I hope that makes sense) from power supply, however, when I smell the ventilation opening, it seems like the smell is coming from the part I've marked red in my picture, the smaller red square.

Some days when I watch it all day, the smell gets very intense, so much so, that it can be smelled a few feet away. Lately I have been getting some headaches, and I might be just imagining, but I feel like they might have something to do with this smell. Also, obviously, I am really concerened about my and my families security regarding fire.

I would describe the smell similar to a blender when it burns out and stops working. I have never had this kind of smell from any of my TVs or any of my electronics ever. I have always been able to watch TVs all day without any sorts of smells.

profile.country.GB.title
jumpsuit
Expert

Hi again @gustavs 

I'm sorry to hear that.

If you leave it with me for a couple of days I will

see if any extra help is available for you.

Thanks

profile.country.LV.title
gustavs

Thanks for the help! I'll get in touch with Sony tomorrow and let you know how it goes, maybe they'll help. :slight_smile:

profile.country.LV.title
gustavs

Small update - just got back from my friends place, he has two TVs, kd55xf9005(same as mine) and kd55xf8005, both had been on for the whole day, both smell-free. So I'm not sure how the warranty can insist that the smell is normal. 😞

profile.country.LV.title
gustavs

So I contacted Sony client service, and they said that they can't help. The warranty service says the TV is perfectly fine, despite the fact that my friend's TV, which is the exact same model, has no smell at all.

They only have one warranty service in Latvia, and I'm stuck with it. If I verify the issue at some other service center, it will void the warranty.

@jumpsuit Let me know if extra help is available.