Join now - be part of our community!

IR Blaster controlling Sky Q box

profile.country.GB.title
mk_chappo

IR Blaster controlling Sky Q box

I have been trying to find out if it possible for the Sony Android IR blaster to control a Sky Q STB.

My conversations with Sony support have only yielded the following response

"With reference to your query, please note that we do not have a confirmation date or information regarding when Sky Q will be supported by Sony IR Blaster."

Since this was pretty much the same response I received over a year ago I'm not too sure when (or even if) this will be implemented.

The IR Blaster is capable of controlling the Sky HD STB and I wondered if it would be possible to build some sort of IR code converter. Whilst looking around at this I came across the "KIRAQ Networked IR and RS232 Control for Sky HD and Sky Q Systems" unit. I contacted the suppliers (Keene Electronics) and they could not have been more helpful. They confirmed that it should be able to take the IR Codes delivered from the IR Blaster and send them on to the Sky Q STB. I ordered a unit and can confirm that using the Sony IR Blaster I can now control my Sky Q System. Generally the response time is very fast (the KIRAQ sends the IR codes to the Sky Q box via Ethernet) and it is only multiple fast key presses (such as scrolling through the Sky Q menus) that can seem a little delayed. However this is more due to the response time of the IR Blaster - but still very acceptable.

The only problem was that the Sony remote did not have a button to directly mimic the Sky Q "Home" button (you could force the IR Blaster to send the code by using the Action Menu - but this is a bit of a hassle when it probably one of the most used keys!). However the guys at Keene Electronics have come up with a custom firmware release which remaps one of the colour keys (not the Red) directly to the "Home" button. Hey presto - I can now control every Sky Q function I need from the TV remote.

31 REPLIES 31
profile.country.GB.title
Tikigod19
Explorer

Ah ok good so it may work. 

I ideally wanted to use it without the ir of blaster at all (so just the tv remote going to the sky q via the KIRAQ  Do you think that might work ? 

profile.country.GB.title
mk_chappo

I doubt it. May be best to talk with the guys at Keene electronics. I think you need the IR blaster to get the SkyHD IR codes - I don't think the IR codes used by the Sony remote are the same.

profile.country.GB.title
Tikigod19
Explorer

OK well I suppose if it takes the ir blaster to work then that's not a disaster. Itd still be worth it. I will buy and give it a try. 

On the phone to sky today when I said the ir blaster couldn't control my sky q box they did suggest removing the ir blaster and using just the remote so that would suggest you're right and the codes sent from the remote are different to those sent by the blaster. 

Thanks so much for your help. I'll report back. 

profile.country.GB.title
mk_chappo

Good luck. The guys at Keene electronics are really helpful. Although expensive I like the ability to control all the features of the TV and the Sky Q box from the same remote. The Sony TV guide function and Discover function are also nicely integrated with the IR blaster and allow you to browse what's on the Sky box and then change the Sky channel to that.

profile.country.GB.title
Tikigod19
Explorer

Do you mean the discover button would just load up the sky TV guide or is it more advanced than that? 

profile.country.GB.title
Tikigod19
Explorer

I don't think this is going to work for me sadly.

Did you leave yours set to sky q box in the config page? Did you leave the setting to all sky remotes?

profile.country.GB.title
mk_chappo

Yes - they are the settings I am using. I presume you have also set the IP address of Sky Q in the config screen as well? Also I know there are 2 versions of the firmware depending on the version of your Sky Q system. I had to flash mine to the correct version. Can't remember which one I'm using now but if you speak to the guys at Keene they should be ble to tell you.

profile.country.GB.title
Tikigod19
Explorer

I cant find where I read it now but something suggested that if my sky box had the newest firmware which it does then I shouldnt update the KIRAQ.

Just to confirm, what remote are you using to control your sky q box via the KIRAQ please?

profile.country.GB.title
Tikigod19
Explorer

ah I've just re-read and I think you're using sky HD box and not sky q is that right?

Also is this the TV remote you are using and do you have the sony tv IR blaster blugged in or not?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Genuine-KD-65X8509C-KD65X8509C-Remote-Control/dp/B071V4JFDH

profile.country.GB.title
mk_chappo

That is right about the KIRAQ firmware you don't want the latest version if your Sky Q box has the latest version firmware (probably has). I had to downgrade my KIRAQ version.

Just to be clear I have a Sky Q system (not Sky HD) and I am using the Sony Remote that came with my TV (not exactly the same as the one in the link as the latest versions have a "Google" and "Netflix" key - but similar) the IR blaster is plugged into the TV and is set up pointing at the IR Reciever of the KIRAQ unit. This then sends the control codes to the Sky Q box over ethernet.