Join now - be part of our community!

IR Blaster controlling Sky Q box

profile.country.GB.title
mk_chappo

IR Blaster controlling Sky Q box

I have been trying to find out if it possible for the Sony Android IR blaster to control a Sky Q STB.

My conversations with Sony support have only yielded the following response

"With reference to your query, please note that we do not have a confirmation date or information regarding when Sky Q will be supported by Sony IR Blaster."

Since this was pretty much the same response I received over a year ago I'm not too sure when (or even if) this will be implemented.

The IR Blaster is capable of controlling the Sky HD STB and I wondered if it would be possible to build some sort of IR code converter. Whilst looking around at this I came across the "KIRAQ Networked IR and RS232 Control for Sky HD and Sky Q Systems" unit. I contacted the suppliers (Keene Electronics) and they could not have been more helpful. They confirmed that it should be able to take the IR Codes delivered from the IR Blaster and send them on to the Sky Q STB. I ordered a unit and can confirm that using the Sony IR Blaster I can now control my Sky Q System. Generally the response time is very fast (the KIRAQ sends the IR codes to the Sky Q box via Ethernet) and it is only multiple fast key presses (such as scrolling through the Sky Q menus) that can seem a little delayed. However this is more due to the response time of the IR Blaster - but still very acceptable.

The only problem was that the Sony remote did not have a button to directly mimic the Sky Q "Home" button (you could force the IR Blaster to send the code by using the Action Menu - but this is a bit of a hassle when it probably one of the most used keys!). However the guys at Keene Electronics have come up with a custom firmware release which remaps one of the colour keys (not the Red) directly to the "Home" button. Hey presto - I can now control every Sky Q function I need from the TV remote.

31 REPLIES 31
profile.country.GB.title
Tikigod19
Explorer

thanks so much. I was of the understanding the TV remote might communicate directly to the KIRAQ IR receiver and negate the need for the IR blaster, however I've now plugged it back in and reset as bSkyb instead of Sky HD and hurrah! We have some action. I have a small problem with power signals being sent twice meaning I cant seem to turn off the box without physically pushing the button and also none of the colour keys do anything but Mark from Keene who I undestand designed the unit has been fantastic on email and I'm hoping I'll receive a reply to this problem next week.

Did you have to set anything up in the configuration page in order to bind one of the colour keys to home and one to power on/off for the sky q box or should it just work?

profile.country.GB.title
mk_chappo

Glad to hear you have it working.

I think you need a special firmware revision from Mark to make the colour keys map through to other functions. In the firmware release I have they map to Sky Q Home(Blue), Sky Q Search (Yellow), Sky Q Power Toggle (Green) and the normal red button function maps through since the red key is needed quite a bit for "Red button" functions.

Ask Mark for the "Sony - Sky Q" firmware.

profile.country.GB.title
Tikigod19
Explorer

Thank you so much for all of your help mk_chappo I really appreciate it

profile.country.GB.title
mk_chappo

No problem.

Just a shame that the Sony IR blaster doesn't support Sky Q out of the box like it should do.

profile.country.GB.title
Tikigod19
Explorer

True. Also annoying that sony don't seem to know anything about this incompatibility.. Would have saved me hours on the phone this week.

One thing I can't work out.. If the KIRAQ receives the signal via the ir blaster why can't it receive it directly from the remote (without the ir blaster plugged into the TV) 

Is it because the tv is converting the signal from a sky q remote into what the KIRAQ thinks is a sky HD remote? 

profile.country.GB.title
mk_chappo

The Sony Remote only talks "Sony" codes to the TV. The IR blaster then converts these to "SkyHD" codes (the IR blaster supports Sky HD but not Sky Q) and then the KIRAQ takes the "SkyHD" codes from its IR reciever and sends "SkyQ" commands to the Sky Q box via Ethernet.

profile.country.GB.title
Tikigod19
Explorer

got it! I certainly understand all of this a lot more than when I first posted.

I'll await this firmware and then I'll be ready to go (hopefully).

My KIRAQ is currently on 1.09.

ScottDXF
New

I think you all seem to be missing the point. The IR blaster is used for controlling IR (infra red) remote control responses by placing it on front of the IR receiver of the set top box. SkyQ remotes do not use IR they use Bluetooth hence the difficulty you are having trying to get the IR working. 

Oh and it will automatically turn on the TV when connected through HDMI power link, this isn’t because the IR blaster is semi working.

profile.country.GB.title
Doovde
Explorer

I was really hoping some update would solve the problem but its just not possible to control Sky Q with the Sony remote..

profile.country.GB.title
Tikigod19
Explorer

It IS possible, just not without more equipment. I've been using the KIRAQ for months now with no issue. I love it .