Join now - be part of our community!

KD-55XF8505 ARC broken by 6.6545 firmware

profile.country.GB.title
mhaselden

KD-55XF8505 ARC broken by 6.6545 firmware

I have been happy on Android 7 on my KD-55XF8505 for a year, avoiding the Android 8 update in February due to the issue with the Audio Return Chanel.

I saw the new update come out and read the audio issues had been resolved, ( https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/support/articles/00223423 ) , so I went ahead with the update. I can 100% say the issue has not been resolved and I now have to power off the amp and the tv, disconnect the HDMI lead and re-connect to make my AV amp work now. It's a 100% issue with the tv.

This is the second time Sony has broken the sound on AV amp with a firmware update, they broke 4K sound output on my XE70 last year and never fixed it.

Has anyone come up with a fix for this or shall I go and buy another TV as I can't wait a year for a fix that may never come. Or maybe Sony should release firmware rollbacks for everytime they do this. 

Getting a bit fed up with Sony as a company for doing this and don't think I will buy another Sony Tv. This is not ok.

Matt

5 REPLIES 5
profile.country.GB.title
jumpsuit
Expert

Hi @mhaselden  and welcome to the Community :slight_smile:

Have you contacted Sony Support to let them know about this?

profile.country.GB.title
mhaselden

Yes, usual try this try that sort of reply. I had already done everything online. As per posted link. I spend 17 emails on the last issue and just went round in circles.  Just wanted to put something up to let others know of the issue. Sony didn't seem to care when my XE70 had arc issues playing 4k content through Netflix, prime or YouTube. 

profile.country.GB.title
jumpsuit
Expert

No worries, I've deleted the duplicate post for you :slight_smile:

I will escalate this for you to see what further assistance

can be given to you.

Someone from Sony Support will be in contact in the next few days,

are your contact details correct in your profile?

profile.country.GB.title
mhaselden

They may, but I have an open case and have emailed the guy from complaints who dealt with my last firmware issue for the Sony XE70 sound issue.

Thanks for your help though. 

profile.country.GB.title
mhaselden

Sony advised a workaround, but its not perfect as all my cables are trained into the walls.

Remove hdmi cable from ARC output and place in another hdmi port.

Insert optical cable into tv and into AV amp. 

The sony rep didn't have much more, so I took it apron myself to set the default audio input to the optical port (rather than the still plugged in hdmi) and restarted everything.

The audio is now working and the HDMI control seems to be working, but a day or so may uncover issues, or may not.

I now have a very long optical cable hanging from my tv and I will need to take everything off the wall and remove part of the false wall the hide the cable, for a temporary work around. I would rather just get the 'out the box firmware' to flash back onto the tv and set updates to off.

Update the follow.