Join now - be part of our community!

Problem with Bravia KD-55KG8 TV recogniseing MY Book AV-TV HDD

SOLVED
profile.country.GB.title
Hawkeyehawk
Explorer

Problem with Bravia KD-55KG8 TV recogniseing MY Book AV-TV HDD

Hi all - I have a problem getting my Sony Bravia KD-55AG8 TV to recognising a MY Book AV-TV 1TB HDD that I purchased the other day. I have read that when using YouView it will not work or record. I've read that you have to change over to Freeview which I have done. When I go to Settings - Storage & Reset it shows My Book AV-TV but says it's Safely Ejected when it's connected to the TV and powered on. There's no way in the setting that will let me register the HDD drive, am I doing something wrong can any body help me with this problem.   

16 REPLIES 16
profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

yes give it a try

profile.country.GB.title
Hawkeyehawk
Explorer

20200310_142517.jpg20200310_142710.jpg

Hi rooobb - I downloaded Western Digital Data Lifeguard Diagnostics Software after visiting there website today before looking at re reformatting the HDD and checked the drive (see picture attached) it passed their test but I noticed it has a file system as Fat32 should it be the NTFS as you suggested. As I've never formatted a HDD before I see that the format process defaults to NTFS, also it shows Allocation Unit Size as 4096 bytes I'm not sure what this means as the HDD is a 1TB HDD, should the Restore Device Default be clicked (see picture attached) or leave it to someone how knows more about  formatting HDD.

Hawkeyehawk  

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

Leave it everything by default
profile.country.GB.title
Hawkeyehawk
Explorer

Hi - sorry to be a pain, but sitting hear this afternoon waiting for a reply to my last post I had a thought about this problem with MY BOOK HDD. I have a 1TB Western Digital Passport that I use for backing up my laptop which does not use a separate power supply the power is through the USB 3 lead. I connected the WD Passport to the TV and low and behold it worked, the screen changed to where I could register the HDD. Unfortunately I could not register this drive as it is my backup HDD. I thought it had to be a powered HDD like the WD MY BOOK AV-TV that I purchased, have you heard of this before or have Sony changed the specification on this TV for recording programs.

Hawkeyehawk    

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

It has to have its own power supply only if the specification for that driver are higher than what the USB can support (900 mA if I remember well). That's the only constraint

profile.country.GB.title
Hawkeyehawk
Explorer

Hi rooobb - I've formatted the HDD from Fat32 to NTFS file system, I connected it to the TV and it got recognized.

So all seems OK. Are you a expert for Sony as I would like to point out that when searching for a new TV I check out all the feature on the TV's and was brawn to the KD55-AG8 where it says you can record to a digital HDD but does not say that you have to disable Youview to be able to record. 

Hawkeyehawk20200310_203548.jpg   

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

Being classified as an expert on the forum doesn't mean I have any connection with the Sony company, I am just a customer like you.

Unfortunately you saw the advertizing but didn't have a look at the note "11" that is at the end of the features, thet says exactly that

Annotazione 2020-03-10 220808.png

You should have asked the question or looked at existing thread before buying the tv. Nonetheless no other tv as Youview and recording AFAIK so it doesn't change the scenario too much. And you bought a great OLED tv. Having a A1 myself of which I am proud