Join now - be part of our community!

Sony Bravia Sound Problem

SOLVED
Annimousey
Explorer

Sony Bravia Sound Problem

Hey everyone.

We just got a Sony Bravia KD49XD8077SU which is great...apart from the sound. We just can't get the PS4 to output in Stereo. My husband noticed it first, but he's a musician so is very attuned to the sound side of things. We've tried swapping the HDMI cable from the Sky box to the PS4, which seemed to work so we thought it might be the HDMI cable, so we bought another one, but it's still the same. We've checked all of the settings on the TV and they are the correct ones to output in stereo.

It's driving my husband crazy. We even switched the PS4 to the HDMI port that the Sky box is in and it's still the same, but now it seems as though the Sky box is also not outputting in Stereo.

Is this a TV settings or PS4 issue? We're at a loss!

Does anyone have any other suggestions of things we can try, please?

Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

HI there

This issue is a PS4 issue im afraid - unlike the PS3, the PS4 does not give options to force whichever speaker pattern you like (i.e. 2.0, 2.1 etc) - However there is a work-around to force the audio to stereo.

Note: Keep the HDMI connected to the TV from the PS4 - no need for other cables

1. On the PS4 goto Settings > Sound and Screen > Audio Output Settings
  2. Change the Primary Output Port to "Digital Out (Optical)"
  3. It will then display Audio Options - Uncheck Dolby Digital 5.1ch, DTS 5.1ch, AAC and ensure that Linear PCM is checked - then click [OK]
  4. Change the Audio Format (Priority) to - Bitstream (Dolby)
  5. Done

You should now be receiving 2 channel stereo - I have tested this on my PS4, connected via HDMI cable to an AV Reciever - the AV Receiver is telling me its 2ch Stereo.

Cheers

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

HI there

This issue is a PS4 issue im afraid - unlike the PS3, the PS4 does not give options to force whichever speaker pattern you like (i.e. 2.0, 2.1 etc) - However there is a work-around to force the audio to stereo.

Note: Keep the HDMI connected to the TV from the PS4 - no need for other cables

1. On the PS4 goto Settings > Sound and Screen > Audio Output Settings
  2. Change the Primary Output Port to "Digital Out (Optical)"
  3. It will then display Audio Options - Uncheck Dolby Digital 5.1ch, DTS 5.1ch, AAC and ensure that Linear PCM is checked - then click [OK]
  4. Change the Audio Format (Priority) to - Bitstream (Dolby)
  5. Done

You should now be receiving 2 channel stereo - I have tested this on my PS4, connected via HDMI cable to an AV Reciever - the AV Receiver is telling me its 2ch Stereo.

Cheers

Annimousey
Explorer

Thank you so much! That worked! We were about to pull our hair out! x

Anonymous
Not applicable

Cool - You're welcome

Happy gaming :grin: