Join now - be part of our community!

Suspected HDCP Issues

profile.country.GB.title
BabyLamb89
New

Suspected HDCP Issues

Hi,

I will begin by saying that I live in Sweden and have just had my 4K tv box delivered (Samsung 680 via Viasat). I have connected the box to my fibre outlet and HDMI cable to my TV (Sony Bravia KD49XD7004) and I can get sound and I can get non 4K broadcasts, but as soon as I try a channel that is advertised as "HD", the picture turns black after about 10 seconds because "communication between the box and the television failed because of copy protection" (translated from the Swedish).

My first thought was HDCP problem and it turned out my soundbar, which was connected to HDMI 3 ARC was not HDCP 2.2 compatible. "Great!" I thought; that must be my problem. So I unplugged it and reconnected it via optical cable. All to no avail. Same problem: picture for about 10 seconds, which disappears, the copy protection message at the top and the sound still playing.

I have been in touch with Viasat, who have suggested turning things off and back on in a certain order, changing cables etc. but with no luck. They have also insisted I try another TV first as well (presumably to determine whether the fault lies with the box) but, unsurprisingly, I do not have another 4K TV lying around to test. I have read that a HDCP 2.2 compatible splitter can get around the problem so I've ordered one, but have to wait until after the weekend to receive it. I have set the TV to "Enhanced HDMI" and I've double-checked that the manual states it is HDCP 2.2 compliant. I have also reset the TV box and reconnected without the soundbar connected to HDMI with the same result. I have also updated to the latest TV software that came out 28/03/18 but there was nothing in the changelog that this would affect anything regarding HDCP.

My question then, assuming there is no error with the box, is there anything more I can do to troubleshoot the TV or anything obvious that I might have missed? 

Thanks for any help!

Tags (1)
2 REPLIES 2
profile.country.GB.title
Pascale_F

Hi BabyLamb89, 

Welcome to the community. 

It's best to get in touch with Sony Support in Sweden about this here to see what they suggest. 

Thanks, 

Pascale_F

profile.country.GB.title
BabyLamb89
New

Hi,

Thank you for the link. I've contacted Sony Sweden now instead.

Thanks!