Join now - be part of our community!

USB Recording - Any advice

profile.country.GB.title
Tarpii

USB Recording - Any advice

Following my update to Marshmallow, I'm now keen to use my USB stick for recording. Has any one familiar with the process got any advice before I begin?

Would be good to know if there is a recommended file format for the drive, and I've also seen people mention internal / external storage, not sure what I need to be doing here?

Any advice would be welcome!

2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

According to Sonys official FAQs, Android TVs do not support recording to USB drives - only proper HDDs connected to the TV via USB.  Myself and other forum members have found that some USB 'thumbdrives' do work.  I would advise either a USB or HDD that is 64GB or more in size.

Also note that the connected drive must be dedicated to the TV - you cannot store some personal files on it and then some TV recordings.  You will need to 'register' the drive to the TV, which encrypts it specifically to that TV. 

However I note that some of your questions are a little confusing - like the file format.  It shouldnt matter what file format it is, as the 'registering' process will change it.  But make sure that its either FAT32 or NTFS.

Cheers

profile.country.GB.title
diodorus

I personally use a SanDisk Extreme USB 3.0 Flash Drive 64GB and have not had any issue so far.

The first time you register it as a recording drive it will format it, but after that you can actually also use it to store your own files (next to the encrypted recordings).