Join now - be part of our community!

Voice Control

profile.country.GB.title
Funkyred47
Explorer

Voice Control

Hi everyone, new to this forum.

last week I purchased a KD43-XE8005, set it up and was impressed with the 'voice control' function. I was prompted to update the firmware, which I did, and now when I try to use voice control, the TV just goes to YouTube.

Anyone tell me how to rollback the firmware?

How do I contact Sony support by phone?

Thanks in advance.

Geoff

13 REPLIES 13
profile.country.GB.title
Jecht_Sin
Enthusiast

Do you mean that when you push the mic button it opens YouTube instead of Google Assistant? That would be odd. 

Anyway, you (we) can't roll back the Android version. What you may try to do is to unpair your tv remote in the Bluetooth setting and pair it again. If it still doesn't work I don't have better ideas than to reset the tv to factory settings. That should fix it for sure. It's a bit of a pain, but after upgrading it's probably highly suggested anyway, given the poor state of this OS. I tried not to reset to factory settings myself after the Android 7.0 upgrade, and after a day I was just forced to. My tv was going nut.

profile.country.GR.title
MiCal1967
Contributor

Hi @Funkyred47

Did you try a Reboot

http://sony-eur-eu-en-web--eur.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/72691/kw/

or a Factory reset after the firmware Update?

http://sony-eur-eu-en-web--eur.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/66442/kw/android%20reboot/relate...

Factory reset will lose all your Settings, apps, channel and must setup again.

profile.country.GB.title
Funkyred47
Explorer

Looking at it, my post was rather ambiguous! I meant after pressing the mic button and asking the unit to change to a specific channel, it just goes to YouTube for that channel.

I had thought of a 'Factory Reset', but was hoping there may have been an alternative.

Thanks for the reply.

profile.country.GB.title
Funkyred47
Explorer

Thanks for the reply, looks like that's the way I'll have to go.

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

A factory reset won't fix that.

Did you prepend "Switch to"? E.g. "Switch to BBC1". Also in German speaking country, voice control is not able to properly resolve many channel names, see here.

Voice control in Sony is just not up to today's standards...

profile.country.GB.title
Jecht_Sin
Enthusiast

Kuschelmonschter wrote:

Voice control in Sony is just not up to today's standards...

It wouldn't be Sony fault for once. As far as I know the voice recognition is Google's software. Then I don't understand, it usually recognises what I say in Italian in both the tv and the telephone. And, with my surprise, even in English (I mean, with my heavy accent it's odd)! Just tested it few times now. I can dictate a whole sentence and it recognises it all. Well, maybe with few wrong guesses (like "love" became "like).

@Funkyred47 Anyway, your tv is fine. As discussed above it's a matter of voice recognition, you're probably giving the wrong commands.

profile.country.GB.title
Funkyred47
Explorer

Before the firmware update, saying "go to??" the TV changed to the required channel. I've tried all kinds of verbal commands without success, all that happens is the TV displays YouTube.

I've just spent an hour on the phone to Sony support who are going to investigate and get back to me tomorrow, hopefully! 

Thanks for for all your replies.

profile.country.GB.title
Jecht_Sin
Enthusiast

Then probably it's a matter of clearing the app's data for the speech recognition. The only problem is that I don't know which one is the app. Unless it is "Text To Speech" but that app should be used only to read the text (and not vice-versa. I think). But Sony should know much better. :slight_smile:

Please let us know if and in case how you fix it.

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

Jecht_Sin schrieb:

It wouldn't be Sony fault for once. 

I am not entirely sure who is responsible for mapping the spoken word to the channels in Sony's DTV integration. But I assume that the DTV software provides a database of TV channels and Google is responsible for the mapping.

It basically works for me too, but only for the "easy" channels. As soon as channel names get more complex with special characters inside (like in Austria/Germany "Sat.1" or "ORF SPORT+), the TV won't resolve it and instead pull some YouTube results.

One thing you have to consider is that you have to set the system language to the appropriate language rather than the speech language. I suggest to set both to your desired language inside the Settings menu which is English I suppose?

Probably you also have to enable the DTV part in the voice search section of the Settings?