Join now - be part of our community!

Voice Control

profile.country.GB.title
Funkyred47
Explorer

Voice Control

Hi everyone, new to this forum.

last week I purchased a KD43-XE8005, set it up and was impressed with the 'voice control' function. I was prompted to update the firmware, which I did, and now when I try to use voice control, the TV just goes to YouTube.

Anyone tell me how to rollback the firmware?

How do I contact Sony support by phone?

Thanks in advance.

Geoff

13 REPLIES 13
profile.country.GB.title
Jecht_Sin
Enthusiast

I believe it should work like this:

Voice command -> Conversion to text -> Match query -> Execute correspondent action

Sony should build the DB for the channels to be matched in the query. But Google (Android) does the voice to text conversion and then it should be the one to execute the action. If misunderstood then the executer (Android) decides to open youtube instead (why YouTube doesn;t make much sense to me).

The converter instead should have acces to, among other things, the tv channel list (built by Sony) and privilege them when building the query. At least that's how I would do it, I mean, it seems quite logical.

Regarding the tv understanding the English language I am even more suprised, since my tv is set in Italian. But I did set the tv in English for few hours, so it may have kept track of it. For example once to test an issue with the keyboard in an Xperia Theme I had to set the phone in Japanese. Switching back to Italian now the option to use the Japanese keyboard is always there. But honestly i don't know at all how that works.

PS: I can't test the channel switching because I don't have an aerial. But I do realise that some queries/channels can be quite hard to match

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

Jecht_Sin schrieb:
decides to open youtube instead (why YouTube doesn;t make much sense to me).

It doesn't actually open YouTube. It just shows YouTube results as typical cards. Just like if you voice search something. It can't map the channel name, so it does as search as fallback...

profile.country.GB.title
Funkyred47
Explorer

Update:.

I contacted Sony support Thursday morning, the Operator couldn't help me, but promised to look into it an ring me back Friday morning, he didn't!

I again contacted Sony, asked why they hadn't called back, apologies from them, but the Operator I spoke to had had an accident! They couldn't suggest either a reason or cure, but it would be elevated for further investigation.

Anyway, Tuesday evening, it's still being investigated.:angry:

watch this space.

profile.country.GB.title
kalocin
Explorer

Hi @Funkyred47 / all - if you're still around, were you able to resolve the issue with not being able to change channels via the voice remote? Just bought a SONY BRAVIA KD43XF8796BU and having the exact same problem with the TV offering to play (for example) BBC1 from YouTube when you say "switch to Channel 1", so would be grateful for any information that might resolve this. Thank you :slight_smile: