Join now - be part of our community!

YouTube update for Android TV.

profile.country.GB.title
Batthews
Explorer

YouTube update for Android TV.

I have a 49X8005C smart tv.  Recently YouTube updated and now I find some videos will not play through the app.  They played fine before the update and they play when I link my smartphone.  It is only a few of them.  They were from old recordings that seemed to have been recorded on VHS tapes then somehow converted if that helps.

11 REPLIES 11
profile.country.DE.title
Peter_S.
Genius

Hi,

I suppose that the codecs of these files are nol longer compatible with the current app.

Anyway, can you please share the non-working YouTube links so I can pass them to our technical team for further investigation?

Thanks a lot in advance
Cheers

Peter

profile.country.BR.title
sonyfan0012

Is Sony aware of what Google did to the YouTube app?

They completely killed it off and , in its place, a Colbalt frame work displaying www.youtube.com/tv

I didn't buy a premium internet tv to have the same UI and fell of a cheap console or cheap smart tv.

I want the native app with native updates. I want the exclusivity.

Besides, if we stand by Android --- a Google product, why are  t hey ditching us??

Tossing the 7 year old site and sacking the marvelous app that blendded so well with the Android Tv enviroment??

Please escalate this to Sony , so they can conplaing to Google!

Many Sony tv users are manifesting them selves on the Google products page, Reddit, avsforum and Shield tv site.

profile.country.GB.title
Batthews
Explorer

They are basically all of these (this is the first one,  but I will not bother posting them all as they are from the same channel and it is logical to see the other ones).

Video not working on smart TV

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @sonyfan0012

Please dont hijack someone elses thread.  As you are aware there is already two discussion threads about YouTube.

Yes, Sony is aware of some of the issues with the YouTube app.

Have you thought of posting a reply in this thread:

https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/youtube/1fMhVozi9Lg

Cheers

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Batthews

I also cannot playback those videos on the TV, but can on my laptop.  However as this is an issue within the app itself, Sony cannot fix this. 

You might note that there is an error ID?  Suggest reporting this to Google/YouTube via this form:

https://www.youtube.com/androidtv_feedback

Cheers

profile.country.GB.title
Jecht_Sin
Enthusiast

Batthews wrote:

They are basically all of these (this is the first one,  but I will not bother posting them all as they are from the same channel and it is logical to see the other ones).

Video not working on smart TV

I have a 49XD8099 with Android 7.0 (basically the same TV of your - Not really. I have seen the final C in your TV model only now. Are you on Android 6.0.1?) and that video plays on my TV. At a ridiculous resolution (144p) but so it does in Google Chrome on my Mac.

Maybe be your TV doesn't understand Welsh? :flushed:

Sorry!! I couldn't resist!! :yahoo:

profile.country.GB.title
Batthews
Explorer

Unsure how to check what version of Android the tv uses.  That video (as well as all the others in the series) worked fine on my TV last week before the update.

profile.country.HR.title
kinggo01
Contributor

@Batthews

go to settings and then last icon in the first row. You can find it there.

profile.country.GB.title
Batthews
Explorer

Thanks.  It is version 6.0.1.  Is it possible for me to upgrade to version 7.0?