Join now - be part of our community!

FDR-AX33: About Cinematone picture effect

SOLVED
profile.country.GR.title
ioagount

FDR-AX33: About Cinematone picture effect

Hallo everyone.

In camera settings menu there is a selection called "Cinematone".

What happens if I choose this feature? Where can I find some information about this officially by Sony?

-John

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.DE.title
darkframe
Expert

Hi @ioagount,

@ioagount  schrieb:

I know that AX33 is a consumer non-professional camera but can I make a blurred background like this ?

well, all in all I'd say yes. At least the AX33 offers what you need. However, you'll need some experience and testing. In case you want to get deeper into this subject: Search for "Bokeh" in the Internet and you'll find more information than you ever have been looking for :wink:

Short version:

Actually you can achieve a view like you've shown in the image by using manual focus and a wide open lense (aperture at low values). This will however have an influence on the shutter speed so you might need to repeat your shots several times until you're satisfied. Anyhow you'll need to gain some experience in order to achieve the wanted result. There's simply no "Bokeh"-button available. Well, at least for XPeria smartphones there's an app but that's working for XPeria smartphones only.

Hope this helps at least a bit. My final advice: test, test, test and test!

Cheers

darkframe

Wo kämen wir hin, wenn jeder sagte, wo kämen wir hin und keiner ginge, um zu sehen, wohin wir kämen, wenn wir gingen... (© by Kurt Marti)

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
profile.country.GB.title
Sean_Mc

Hi John,

You can find more details on 'Cinematone' here.

Hope this helps.

Best wishes,

Sean Mc

profile.country.DE.title
darkframe
Expert

Hi @ioagount,

my advice is to take 2 short clips of approximately 30 seconds, each of the same object with either setting. Ideally you'll be taking those clips right away one after the other. This will help you in deciding which setting suits your needs and additionally you will/might see the difference between the settings.

Sorry, but there's no general advice... It's a matter of preferences as well.

Cheers

darkframe

Wo kämen wir hin, wenn jeder sagte, wo kämen wir hin und keiner ginge, um zu sehen, wohin wir kämen, wenn wir gingen... (© by Kurt Marti)
profile.country.GR.title
ioagount

Hi darkframe and Sean Mc .

I will check it, of course, when I find the appropriate background.

The helpquide explains the changes that take place after a setup, but in brief. I read somewhere tha after setting the Cinematone  feature "On", a valiable called "gamma curve" changes and the look is getting more cinematic.

Anyway, I'm trying to find the best settings to make the videos more cinematic. For example, I'm trying to make a blurred background using the focus function but I can not achieve that as a cinematic and professional camera does. The contrast between the foreground and background is not intense. 

I know that AX33 is a consumer non-professional camera but can I make a blurred background like this ?

profile.country.DE.title
darkframe
Expert

Hi @ioagount,

@ioagount  schrieb:

well, all in all I'd say yes. At least the AX33 offers what you need. However, you'll need some experience and testing. In case you want to get deeper into this subject: Search for "Bokeh" in the Internet and you'll find more information than you ever have been looking for :wink:

Short version:

Actually you can achieve a view like you've shown in the image by using manual focus and a wide open lense (aperture at low values). This will however have an influence on the shutter speed so you might need to repeat your shots several times until you're satisfied. Anyhow you'll need to gain some experience in order to achieve the wanted result. There's simply no "Bokeh"-button available. Well, at least for XPeria smartphones there's an app but that's working for XPeria smartphones only.

Hope this helps at least a bit. My final advice: test, test, test and test!

Cheers

darkframe

profile.country.GR.title
ioagount

Thank you Betreff.

I will try these settings.

I know that the term "aperture" is a value for DSLRs and photography but I read somewhere that this is equivalent to IRIS or EXPOSURE for camcorders. Is it accurate?

profile.country.DE.title
IamNic
Expert

Hello @ioagount,

correct, the Apeture is the Iris.

- Nic