Join now - be part of our community!

DVD recorder RDR-DC205 switches itself off.

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
alan824089
Visitor

DVD recorder RDR-DC205 switches itself off.

My RDR-DC205 powers up ok but after about 30 seconds switches itself off. I believe this to be related to the power regulator because I had a similr problem on a JVC DVD recorder. I have seen the fault posted elsewhere on this site. The JVC repair cost me about £2.50 so I think a similar solution is possible. Just need to know which component has failed. Can anyone help?

Thanks

Alan

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
alan824089
Visitor

Problem solved. Always read the manual!!!!! I had tried the reset button on the front of the machine behind the drop down panel. The manual explains how to reset to factory settings by holding down two buttons on the machine simultaneously; that is the stop button (extreme right of the recorder) and the on/off button (extreme left). I powered up and immediately pressed these two buttons before it had chance to do anything. It reset to factory default. I then powered up and all is working. All the hard disc recordings are there safe and sound.

Not sure what caused the fault but my daughter had been recording a series. Add to this that my wife is likely to switch off at the plug without checking if the machine is recording or on, maybe it got a little confused.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
profile.country.GB.title
jumpsuit
Expert

Hi there

I don't know a great deal about components etc but found this thread elsewhere.

http://www.avforums.com/forums/blu-ray-dvd-recorders-media/1476151-sony-rdr-dc205-hdd-dvd-not-stayin...

wondered if you get the fan cutting in / out etc too?

alan824089
Visitor

It's the same fault as mine. Mine is switched off evry night and has plenty of time to settle before a restart. HD failure? It does not get past the disk stage when booting.

alan824089
Visitor

Problem solved. Always read the manual!!!!! I had tried the reset button on the front of the machine behind the drop down panel. The manual explains how to reset to factory settings by holding down two buttons on the machine simultaneously; that is the stop button (extreme right of the recorder) and the on/off button (extreme left). I powered up and immediately pressed these two buttons before it had chance to do anything. It reset to factory default. I then powered up and all is working. All the hard disc recordings are there safe and sound.

Not sure what caused the fault but my daughter had been recording a series. Add to this that my wife is likely to switch off at the plug without checking if the machine is recording or on, maybe it got a little confused.

profile.country.GB.title
jumpsuit
Expert

Glad you got it sorted out and thanks for posting a solution :slight_smile: