Join now - be part of our community!

PCG FR415M Bios Upgrade

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
Tonza1
Visitor

PCG FR415M Bios Upgrade

Hi, new to the site and i am really struggling to find a bios update for th PCG FR415M model so it will read the new memory upgrade and i'm hoping you guys can help. The system is running windows xp pro if that helps. Many thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi Tonza1,

There is no BIOS upgrade for your Vaio and I don't think it would help anyway.

The maximum the motherboard can support is 512MB per memory slot and so this model cannot use more than a maximum 1GB of RAM (2 X 512MB).

What memory are you trying to install?

:neutral:

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi Tonza1,

There is no BIOS upgrade for your Vaio and I don't think it would help anyway.

The maximum the motherboard can support is 512MB per memory slot and so this model cannot use more than a maximum 1GB of RAM (2 X 512MB).

What memory are you trying to install?

:neutral:

Tonza1
Visitor

Thanks for your reply. The memory that i have put in is 2 x 512mb but the system is still reading 488mb. I have tried putting one memory stick in at a time and when i do the system then reads 192mb.

The new memory modules that i have put in are 512mb  DDR PC2700 • CL=2.5 • Unbuffered • NON-ECC • DDR333 • 2.5V • recommended by crucial so i'm at a bit of a loss to why i cannot get full maximum memory.

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Where are you reading these memory figures from?

:thinking:

Tonza1
Visitor

The figures are from the bios menu after pressing F2 on start up. Also i have looked in the general tab in system menu in the control panel which also shows 448mb.

Desolationtown
Visitor

Hi, Incase you havent figured it out already, the FR series shares its memory with the GPU. From the figures you have given it sounds likely that you have in fact got 2 x 256Mb of ram and are sharing 64Mb with the GPU.

256Mb - 64Mb  = 192Mb total Memory

512Mb - 64Mb =  448Mb total Memory