Join now - be part of our community!

Playstation 4 Thread

profile.country.en_GB.title
Catmambo
Contributor

Playstation 4 Thread

So what does everyone think so far?

• Specs looked pretty good. Especailly 8GB of very high speed RAM and a 6x Blu-ray drive. One benefit ofa 6x Blu-ray is that you can potentially run games from disc directly if required rather than the mandatory installation that you have on some titles.
  • Social seems to play a very big part especially with easy sharing of content and cloud gaming
  • Some good details of the controller here - http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2013/02/sony-unveils-new-dualshock-3d-camera-for-playstation-4/
  • Great developer support with the additon of Bungie and Blizzard in addition to existing partners.
  • No mention of 4K yet, but confirming it has physical media support and with a 4k standard for Blu-ray on the horizon, I'm hopeful

Like most people, I really want to see the chassis itself, but guess we'll have to wait until maybe E3 or something until that is revealed. But so far so good i think.

What do you think?

Tags (2)
10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I watched quite a bit of that presentation to actually see what the PS4 looks like, the emotional stress and heartache of not seeing it was almost too much to bare.:smileysilly:

In regards to the "leaked" specs, so far so good. Although, that 8GB of GDDR5 RAM is shared with the GPU. In a couple of years, will that 8GB be enough?

My swinging vote will be whether it includes that bloody singstar icon !!!:smileyeek:

Message was edited by: Quinnicus

Catmambo
Contributor

Yes, it felt a little bit like a developers event- - I was hoping for a classic Apple 'one more thing' reveal at the end..

They whole UI will change - Xross Media bar has effectively been retired after a long service. You've highlighted one of XMB's limitations as it was too prescriptive in some ways. They seemed to provide some snippets of the new UI last night, but its hard to stitch the different pieces of the puzzle together right now. Mindful they explained that the syetem will learn your behaviours and adapt accordingly, maybe many of the inidividual UI elements will be relevant to you..

sony-cat

I thought it looked very good in terms of how the new games looked, graphics were stunning. I had a few problems with the stream, so I missed the move section which I was most interested in, but I was told it looked better. I should really go and catch up on that. Also the stream never appeared in PS Home last night and quite a few people were disappointed. I hope that having square move jobbers, will stop the calibration drifting out as you are playing.

I love the idea of having more than one processor to do different jobs and the new GPU sounds incredable.

I may however, not be able to play this one. I have been playing for over 15 years since early PS1, but have had to slow down over the last couple of years due to thumb RSI and carpel tunnel, mostly acquired from playing fighting games like Tekken and Soulcalibre. The current Dualshock 3 is almost unusable to me now, it cause's me loads of pain and I cannot press the buttons fast enough. I don't really see what the touchpad adds and it would be excruciating for me to reach it in that position.

All I really wanted for Christmas was a controller design that would be more thumb friendly and I didn't get it. I know this is not the case for most gamers, but I am sure I am not the only one out there old enough to have thumb problems from playing all generations of the console. It would be nice if they considered more long term use.

I also wondered where new WipEout is? I have hoping this will turn up next E3 :smileygrin: I love WipEout, since with sixaxis you can configure it to be played without the use of thumbs.

I'm old, I don't really want to be social or integrate with Facebook. I don't really want my online and real life stuff mingling either, it takes away the recreation aspect to me. However I love the idea of remote play, so I can fiddle with my games from work. And I love the idea of being able to share game videos of me playing with my brother.

I can see the console is a fair old imporvement on the PS3, it looks much more capable and able to multitask. The old system had many problems with this, which were very tedious. I think the improvements to the OS will make it much more usable and comparible to PC in terms of functionality. I am wondering if this means voice chat will now have the overhead space it needs. The games look absolutely stunning, so I will be very, very, very sad if I have to wave goodbye at this point,.

Message was edited by: sony-cat

Anonymous
Not applicable

I was just thinking. What would be a game changer for me, is if the PS4 could integrate a Media Server with on the fly transcoding. It certainly has enough power for it, and would only require the software. With all our digital devices these days, a single simple solution as in this one, would have me saving immediatley.

At the moment, streaming media to other devices is not what I call Mum and Dad friendly.

Looking at the new controller, the touchpad is a nice, erm well touch. However, will a PS keyboard be developed that fits nicely over the controller, like the one i have at the moment (PS3 Wireless Keypad)

anyway, just my thoughts

kee-lo_

I have PS3, and I thought that was great.  This is mainly because I had Blu-Ray, so it was neat.  I don't think PS4 will have me running to the shops for it, also the fact it is very expensive in Paris - with Luxary tax and all.  I think what it needs are a whole host of games and accessories on launch and keep them coming.  There have been months on end where I didn't buy a PS3 game because I just didn't feel excited by the new ranges.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Kee-lo

Ive not said hello to you before.  Im relatively new around here :slight_smile:

If memory serves me right, when the PS3 was released, even though it was expensive, it was still a cheaper option to add a bluray player, than purchasing a stand-alone one.  I dont buy new release games for mine, second hand for me (cuts the price down), as well as the PS Plus subscription of a couple of free games for me, does the trick.  Mafia II for me this month, has kept me from sleeping !

I was hoping for a PS4, but circumstances will prevent me from getting one for quite a while :cry: (im gutted to be honest)  LOL  Im not a person who has to have it on day of release, but this side of xmas would have been nice.

I didnt know France had a luxury tax, which does add to the price. 

kee-lo_

Haha I'm very old round here, started back in 2002, when the VAIO was relitively new :slight_smile:  Hello :grin:

That's why it was so attractive, paying £200 for a BD player just didn't make sense - think it cost me £300 for the PS3 at the time.  Sadly it's a small HDD!

Yes, it is 30% on top, at Paris Games Week they said expect to pay closer to €500!

profile.country.IE.title
dpc4321

Hi, I ordered my PS4 from Sony store, just wondering if we will get option to upgrade our orders? I would love the PS4 with killzone shadow fall, PS camera and extra controller. Thanks.

Scorpio391
Explorer

Hi there,

I too have reordered a PS4 from the online store (before August) - In the 'open orders' section of 'my account' i can see the delivery date set to between 27/12 & 30/12.

Now I’m sure this will change when the stock actually comes in - but it’s disconcerting none the less...

Anyone else have the same delivery dates for their launch day pre-order? - (if not i will be flapping:smileyhappy:)