Join now - be part of our community!

Sony Hack Warning

SOLVED

Sony Hack Warning

I have received an text stating that I had won one million US Dollars and to send details about myself to claimsdprt@sonyiprizes.com.  Checking out this Sony official site (not to my surprise) instigated a hack warning - predatory intrusives aimed probably at ID theft.  The matter has been reported to the police who directed me to their Fraud Squad number - which is closed on Sunday.  How do I warn Sony on a Sunday of this matter?  Meanwhile, I strongly advise not using the above official Sony site for now.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Sony are aware of the problem as per telephone call 17/8/2015.  I will leave the issue in their capable hands.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
profile.country.GB.title
Nobody-in-particular
Contributor

Just because the word Sony appears in the email address is not an indication that the email address is in any way an official one and please explain why receiving the email via a text message constitutes a hack?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

I believe Sony is aware of these scam texts/emails.  Unfortunately there is not much Sony can do to stop these.  They are not hacks, but mere spam.  Like always, if its too good to be true...ignore it.

I still get spam text messages awarding me a payout on an accident that I never have had.

There is not much the police can do either, as these spam emails/texts usually originate from other countries - outside UK law enforcement.

Cheers

The site given is an official Sony one.  It was the software I use on my PC testing this official site as a folllow up to the fraudulent message that alerted me to the danger of accessing it (likely redirecting my enquiries to another bogus landing site).   A case of the someone using text messages under the guise of a Sony Promotion to gain information utilising a tampered official Sony site - the official site giving the impression of credibility; at least to the unwary.  One can assume that the bogus site would be an official looking clone. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

This site?

Screenshot_2015-08-16-19-24-45.png

Screenshot_2015-08-16-19-27-42.png

Sony are aware of the problem as per telephone call 17/8/2015.  I will leave the issue in their capable hands.