Join now - be part of our community!

5.1ch or 2.0ch?

SOLVED
profile.country.GB.title
Kai_jim7
Explorer

5.1ch or 2.0ch?

IMG_0213.jpgHi, don't know if any body can help here? It's a X800M2 Blu-ray Player.

As in the photo the 'HDMI OUTPUT' says DD 2.0.ch. I have a 5.1ch sound system. Should I be looking at the top info or the lower info, what's is actually being output? 

Am I actually getting 5.1ch or 2.0ch?

Cheers!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
royabrown2
Hero

@Lolpo555 

I wouldn’t connect TV and soundbar both by Optical and by ARC; I’d just use ARC.

And there’s a mismatch between your description of things and what RTINGS thinks:-

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/lg/uk6300

Audio Passthrough

ARC                                                       Yes (HDMI 2)
eARC support                                       No
Dolby Atmos via TrueHD via eARC    No
DTS:X via DTS-HD MA via eARC         No
5.1 Dolby Digital via ARC                    Yes
5.1 DTS via ARC                                    Yes
5.1 Dolby Digital via Optical               Yes
5.1 DTS via Optical.                              Yes

So while it certainly can’t handle Dolby Atmos or DTS-X , as no ARC-only TV can, it should be able to pass through both Dolby Digital and DTS, and by either ARC or Optical.

This suggests some misconfiguration on your TV somewhere, which should be able to pass through either format via Bitsream, giving you full 5.1 for your 5.1 soundbar to reproduce, and you shouldn’t be having to settle for PCM 😢

Have another look at the TV settings and try configuring for bitstream over ARC, nothing over Optical.

My favourite bedtime reading is a Sony product manual…

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
profile.country.DE.title
Peter_S.
Genius

Hi Kai,

The source is 5.1 (disc) but the player outputs 2.0 channel only.

Please check the audio settings of the player in the menu - maybe it's set to PCM (2ch Stereo).

Else your sound system might not accept the surround format so the player only outputs 2ch audio.

Cheers

Peter

profile.country.GB.title
Kai_jim7
Explorer

Maybe I will need a HDMI switch as my Samsung TV might not have 5.1ch passthrough?
profile.country.DE.title
Peter_S.
Genius

If your receiver can pass trough image signals you should connect the player to the receiver.

profile.country.GB.title
Kai_jim7
Explorer

Don't have have the right ports on my Soundbar (receiver) only HDMI out and Optical. In the end used HDMI Audio Extractor to pass through 5.1 audio, and used original blu-ray ports to pass through the video signal. 

Thanks for the help!

profile.country.GB.title
Kai_jim7
Explorer

IMG_0218.jpg

profile.country.US.title
Lolpo555
New

I know I am four years late, but would you mind helping me since I have the same problem?

I would like to know what HDMI audio extractor you bought since I bought one but did not work as intended.

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown2
Hero

@Lolpo555 

The best way to do this, as described by @Peter_S. is to run the BluRay player into an HDMI In on your receiver, and let that feed the video out up the (e)ARC HDMI connection into the TV.

If you can do it, which @Kai_jim7 couldn’t, as his soundbar didn’t have an HDMI In. But maybe you can?

I was able to do this, but I hit a second snag; my (old) receiver couldn’t pass the UHD video 😢

So I adopted Plan B, and used the separate video and audio outputs on the back of the UHD Player, feeding the Video into the TV, and the Audio into the receiver. Slightly less automatic, but uncompromised quality of both video (full UHD and HDR) and audio (5.1).

These are both preferable alternatives to what @Kai_jim7 had to do, if your equipment will support it.

Not that I know what @Kai_jim7 actually did; I don’t think he could use the ARC HDMI In on the soundbar, so I think he might have used the Optical In. In which case his splitter must have been, or included, an HDMI to Optical convertor, (and not just been a one in/two out HDMI adapter). Which he might have split from the video cable, or just used on the Audio Out.

Hopefully, he will reappear and tell us; but if not, and perhaps even if so, something above might be your best bet.

If you would like to post again and give us make and model number of your TV and of your receiver, I can look up their manuals and check what’s possible for you.

My favourite bedtime reading is a Sony product manual…
profile.country.US.title
Lolpo555
New

My 4k tv is the LG UK6300PUE 4K HDR Smart LED UHD TV w/ AI ThinQ® - 50" Class (49.5" Diag)

And my soundbar is the Sony S40R

My 4K player Sony UBP-X800M2

The soundbar only has three ports - Analog, HDMI OUT (TV), Optical (tv). 

My TV has 2 regular HDMI, one HDMI arc

My 4k player HDMI out (video), HDMI out (audio). 

My current setup is HDMI out video (4k player) to HDMI 1 (TV). And, Optical (soundbar), to Optical (TV). = 2.0 audio only. PCM setting if Bluray disk has DTS sound (if not, there is no audio). Also, HDMI out (soundbar) to HDMI 2 Arc (TV) = Same 2.0ch audio

Had tried in the past, HDMI out (soundbar) to HDMI arc (TV) before = 2.0 Audio only.  

profile.country.GB.title
Kai_jim7
Explorer

Hello,

You can check the specs of your TV.

My TV didn’t have 5.1ch passthrough. So I had to order one of these: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07YD2CLMY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1#custo...

Not sure what the connections were then it was such a long time.

This device converted a 2.0ch to a 5.1ch output.

Regards.