Join now - be part of our community!

5.1ch or 2.0ch?

SOLVED
profile.country.GB.title
Kai_jim7
Explorer

5.1ch or 2.0ch?

IMG_0213.jpgHi, don't know if any body can help here? It's a X800M2 Blu-ray Player.

As in the photo the 'HDMI OUTPUT' says DD 2.0.ch. I have a 5.1ch sound system. Should I be looking at the top info or the lower info, what's is actually being output? 

Am I actually getting 5.1ch or 2.0ch?

Cheers!

11 REPLIES 11
profile.country.GB.title
royabrown2
Hero

@Lolpo555 

I wouldn’t connect TV and soundbar both by Optical and by ARC; I’d just use ARC.

And there’s a mismatch between your description of things and what RTINGS thinks:-

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/lg/uk6300

Audio Passthrough

ARC                                                       Yes (HDMI 2)
eARC support                                       No
Dolby Atmos via TrueHD via eARC    No
DTS:X via DTS-HD MA via eARC         No
5.1 Dolby Digital via ARC                    Yes
5.1 DTS via ARC                                    Yes
5.1 Dolby Digital via Optical               Yes
5.1 DTS via Optical.                              Yes

So while it certainly can’t handle Dolby Atmos or DTS-X , as no ARC-only TV can, it should be able to pass through both Dolby Digital and DTS, and by either ARC or Optical.

This suggests some misconfiguration on your TV somewhere, which should be able to pass through either format via Bitsream, giving you full 5.1 for your 5.1 soundbar to reproduce, and you shouldn’t be having to settle for PCM 😢

Have another look at the TV settings and try configuring for bitstream over ARC, nothing over Optical.

My favourite bedtime reading is a Sony product manual…
profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

@Lolpo555 you have to consider also that in your setup the s40r soundbar does not support DTS, so this could be the reason why your are getting only PCm from your bluray.