Join now - be part of our community!

Problems with setting up a BDP-S185 Blu-Ray

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
Lymmguineas
New

Problems with setting up a BDP-S185 Blu-Ray

Hi everyone,

I've just bought a BDP-S185 and connected it up to my Bravia TV via HDMI cable.

When I turn the BDP-S185 on, I see the Sony Blu-Ray logo on the screen followed by a blue line across the scree just under half way up the screen. After a second or two, that goes off and I'm left with a blank screen showing nothing other than the time and HDMI1 in the top left hand corner.

I don't get any of the setup options mentioned in the instructions.

The remote works - I can power on/off and open the disc tray, but nothing else is displayed on the screen.

I know that the cable is ok as it works fine on my dvd player.

Any ideas what I'm doing wrong or have I got a faulty player?

Any help/advice gratefully received!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Catmambo
Contributor

Not sure, but very unlikely the Blu-ray is still at fault as the odds of consecutive faulty players are very small. I would indeed definitely try another HDMI cable. Grab one from amazon or your local Sony centre.

Shouldn't have to change anything on the TV to get it to work, your TV is recent enough to cope with pretty much anything you can throw at it..

Thanks

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Catmambo
Contributor

What happens when you press the blue 'Home' button or try and play a disk? Nornally if you plug it in for the first time, it walks you through a setup process. But even if it hasn't done that, pressing Home will always get you back to the Xross Media bar menu.

Might be you have a faulty unit though, so if you've only just bought it, maybe take it back to the retailer and get it swapped out.

hope this helps

Lymmguineas
New

Nothing happens with the home button or, indeed, any of the other buttons apart from on/off and the one for opening the tray. Looks like it will have to go back.

Lymmguineas
New

Ok....So I exchanged it for a new one and got exactly the same problem.

A blu-ray logo, a line and then a blank screen.

I tried connecting the player to an old analog samsung TV I have using video cables and the player works.

Think I will have to buy another hdmi cable and try that but it seems odd to me.

Why would my existing hdmi cable work with an upscaling dvd player but not a blu-ray player?

If it is the cable that's at fault how come it will display the blu-ray logo but none of the other options?

My tv is a kdl40-cx523. I shouldn't have to change any of the settings on that before i connect the player should I?

Once again, any help or advice would be great.

Catmambo
Contributor

Not sure, but very unlikely the Blu-ray is still at fault as the odds of consecutive faulty players are very small. I would indeed definitely try another HDMI cable. Grab one from amazon or your local Sony centre.

Shouldn't have to change anything on the TV to get it to work, your TV is recent enough to cope with pretty much anything you can throw at it..

Thanks

Lymmguineas
New

I just bought a new HDMI cable from the local pound shop and the player now works fine.

I've still got no idea why the old cable works with a dvd player and not a blu-ray, but the end result is the problem is solved and the good news is that the cable only cost me a pound!

Thanks Catmambo for your advice.