Join now - be part of our community!

Sony 1080 receiver switching input always shows home screen

profile.country.GB.title
JackBerryman

Sony 1080 receiver switching input always shows home screen

Hello all, i’ve Just bought and set up my new 1080 and it’s almost perfect except for one thing. For some reason whenever I switch inputs (I.e to Netflix or turn on the PlayStation) the input switches ok but then just after the home screen pops up. This is really annoying as it means I then need to press the home button on the amp remote and I can’t just use 1 remote to control everything. Searching the net shows other people have solved this by disabling HDMI CEC but I really don’t want to do this as it would still mean having to switch the inputs manually. 

Anybody have any ideas on how to solve this? many thanks in advance. 

190 REPLIES 190
profile.country.GB.title
BombPAC

@markjgoddard wrote:

I'm having to turn it off at the plug to make sure it stays off.  Hopefully Sony will reply/issue a fix or it's going back to the shop after Christmas.  Really poor.

Interested in anyone has cracked how to fix this...

As mentioned elsewhere on this thread, the only way to resolve these issues at the moment is to switch off HDMI control, which will mean you can't use ARC. Therefore, you will need a dedicated streamer instead of using the apps on your TV, which I have found to be a generally preferable solution anyway. You can pick up an Amazon Fire TV , Chromecast or Roku stick for quite low cost or spend a bit more on an Apple TV device if you want full Dolby Vision & Atmos support. Either way, I've found the functionality and range of apps better than those built into my LG TV - except for the Now TV app, which is quite poor on tvOS...  

profile.country.GB.title
pr0phecy
Explorer

@BombPAC wrote:

I also tried this 5-second delay workaround with the Harmony remote, but it wasn't 100% effective - I even tried 15 seconds at one point, but the Home screen still appeared randomly now and again - plus the amp was very slow to switch inputs.

The only solution for me was to use a dedicated streamer. Then you don't have to worry about any of these HDMI control related issues reported in this thread. The other advantage with using a dedicated streamer is additional apps and regular device updates. I'm actually quite pleased that this issue prompted me to buy an Apple TV device - I'm really enjoying the quality of the image and sound you get from it, and I can also use the Infuse app to play movies I have stored in MKV format from a NAS drive, plus have access to 4k movies from iTunes.

Too bad the 5 sec delay workaround doesn't work as stable as you would have hoped it would. You could always asssign one of the buttons of the remote to the "Home" receiver button, to just manually get rid of that Home screen pop-up. Far from ideal, I know. But yeah I hear ya, a dedicated streamer will probably be the way to go. 

profile.country.GB.title
seahomer
New

Just bought this amp, and have the same problem. It also switches itself back on after about a minute. Not impressed.

profile.country.GB.title
LtPidgeon

@BombPAC wrote:

I think the Home screen issue may have started with a firmware update - it’s difficult for me to know for sure as I haven’t had the amp that long myself. The key point is that it is using CEC (HDMI control) that causes the problem - which is mandatory if you also want to use ARC. Once you disable CEC it solves the problem, but that also means you can’t then use ARC.

For info, I also have an LG TV and Harmony Elite, so it sounds like we have a similar setup...

I've had this amp since March and this issue has only started happening in December after I had installed the last fw update. However, it's not as though it started immediately after the update as it was working fine for a couple of weeks. 

Has anyone tried a factory reset of their amp to see if that rectifies the issue? I think I will try moving back to the HDMI 2 output of the 1080 and see if that is more stable. I now have an NVidia Shield plugged into my TV HDMI 1 port and this was using the ARC back to my amp, but I've lost that with having to disable HDMI control on the amp.

This is such a pain after it being rock solid for almost 9 months.

profile.country.GB.title
Tarrier76

The Home Screen Issue’s been with me since I got the damned thing, certainly longer than just since the last update.

Incidentally, I thought the problem where the TV + Amp turn themselves back on again after power-down started around 2-3 weeks after the latest update (to M41), and not straightaway.  As this issue is affecting (at least) Samsung, LG and Sony TVs, I’m starting to wonder if all TV manufacturers use some common software that has recently been released and that is causing the issue.  I hear eARC is new across many devices, but who provides the software?

I suspect these two issues are ones that won’t be solved easily...

profile.country.GB.title
LtPidgeon

@Tarrier76 wrote:

The Home Screen Issue’s been with me since I got the damned thing, certainly longer than just since the last update.

Incidentally, I thought the problem where the TV + Amp turn themselves back on again after power-down started around 2-3 weeks after the latest update (to M41), and not straightaway.  As this issue is affecting (at least) Samsung, LG and Sony TVs, I’m starting to wonder if all TV manufacturers use some common software that has recently been released and that is causing the issue.  I hear eARC is new across many devices, but who provides the software?

I suspect these two issues are ones that won’t be solved easily...

It seemed to start after my C7 got a firmware update, at least timing wise. I don't understand how a delay could affect the 1080 as you would think the glitch would be in it at the point of fw update?

Sometimes my amp will jump to my Apple TV input (Video 2) and sometimes the Home screen. 

Technology is great when it works...

profile.country.GB.title
LtPidgeon

Another thought I've had is whether anyone has tried rolling back to the previous firmware of the 1080?

profile.country.GB.title
Tarrier76

When I spoke to Sony product support a couple of weeks ago, they insusted downgrading wasn’t an option.  I found the statement odd so challenged it a few times, but they were insistent - downgrade not possible.  I hope someone has the old software (m37?) and can prove them wrong!

profile.country.GB.title
LtPidgeon

@Tarrier76 wrote:

When I spoke to Sony product support a couple of weeks ago, they insusted downgrading wasn’t an option.  I found the statement odd so challenged it a few times, but they were insistent - downgrade not possible.  I hope someone has the old software (m37?) and can prove them wrong!

Now that you mention it, I might actually have the previous fw image as I had to update my Sony kit offline since they would not connect to the internet servers. I'll have a rummage on my PC and usb sticks, although if they are so insistent, it might cause an issue to go backwards.

profile.country.GB.title
Tarrier76

Good luck. If it works, maybe you could PM me the fw image!