Join now - be part of our community!

SVR-HDT500 connection to HT-FS3 Home Theatre

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
munumuna
Visitor

SVR-HDT500 connection to HT-FS3 Home Theatre

Hi All,

Some advice please on how my equipment should be connected together as I have done what I think it says in the manuals and it doesnt work !

Yesterday connected my new BDPS390 to my HT-FS3 with HDMI, had a couple of issues (see previous topic) but these all sorted and it works beautifully.

Today endeavoured to connect up my new SVR-HDT500 - in the manual for the SVR it says connect the HDM to the audi unit and then the audio unit to the TV with HDMI (which is how I had it previously). In the manual for the HT-FS3 it says connect TV/SAT Tuner by HDMI to the dedicated HDMI slot on the rear of the HT-FS3.

Did this (SVR connected to the HT-FS3 connected to the TV) and..........absolutely nothing happened !

TV showed HDMI 1 connection as being BD player.

Unplugged everything and reconnected with the SVR-HDT500 connected directly to the TV by HDMI, bypassing the HT-FS3  - worked first time and very pleased with the result - its a really nice unit.

However, I am now left with no connection from / to the HT-FS3 and/or the BD player.

My problem is I only have 1 HDMI lead (10m) from the TV back to the equipment. Do I need another HDMI connected direct to HDMI2 on the TV ? or should it work by connecting the SVR directly to the HT unit ?

Read all manuals cover-to-cover and cant find an answer.

Help please.

Chris

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
munumuna
Visitor

Ok think I finally got some sort of workable solution.

Tried different wiring configurations etc. but no joy (sorry not savvy enough to attempt the resets/ firmware upgrades). Plugged the HDMI from the PVR into the slot marked 'Blu Ray' on the FS3 and all worked fine - the PVR signal reached the TV even when the FS3 was switched off. However, plugged the BR into the slot marked DVD - but could only get a signal from it by changing the input setting on the FS3. Ditto when swapped over.

Transpires, I think, that only the HDMI slot badged Blu-Ray on the FS3 allows a through signal when it is switched off.

Finally bit the bullet and fed an additional HDMI lead to the TV. Plugged the PVR into HDMI 1 and the HDMI from the FS3, which has the BD connected, into HDMI 2. Now all works fine. The PVR into HDMI 1 has priority but when the BD is switched on it automatically switches that input. The BD goes through the FS3 so the sound is good and the sound from the PVR goes from the TV back to the FS3 via optical digital lead.

All seems to work satisfactory now.

Thanks for your help.

Chris

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Catmambo
Contributor

What TV do you have? Can you not just connect both the Blu-ray player and PVR directly to the TV via HDMI and then an Optical cable out of the TV into the FS3, then all sound will be output via thia the Home Theatre kit?

thanks

munumuna
Visitor

Hi Catmambo (again !),

Not sure what model it is but it is a Sony Bravia 37" , about 3 years old.

I was really hoping not to have to get another HDMI lead as it will be difficult to install (cables are in a duct which is built into a fireplace).

I already have a digitial optical cable from the TV to the Home Theatre (so I can play the TV sound through it). If I disconnect the HDMI from the Home Theatre would this mean that the Home Theatre can't be controlled through the Bravia Sync facility (we use the TV remote to adjust the Audio system volume) ?

If I put an HDMI splitter on the HDMI cable (so this was shared by the BD and the PVR) would this work ?

Thanks for your response.

Chris

Catmambo
Contributor

I think the FS3 has 3xHDMI in right

So

FS3->BRAVIA via HDMI

PVR->FS3 via HDMI

Blu-> FS3 via HDMI

No reason why the PVR wouldn't work when connected to FS3. There is a updated firmware for the PVR as well, which you have to download to USB and update that way - that may fix it.

Try also seeing if there are any updates for the TV and then do a factory reset on the TV.

I know there seem like a lots of updates and resets, but on the face of it, there is no reason why this shouldn't work, so just trying to figure out where the issue is.

thanks

munumuna
Visitor

Thanks so much for your advice.

Yes, there are 3 HDMI in slots on the FS3 and I was really banking on simply plugging the PVR into the back of it. However, when I did this the TV screen just showed the HDMI1 page blank but BD on the top - didnt appear to be recognising the PVR.

I will give the updates / resets a go and let you know how I get on.

I am pleased to hear that you too think connecting the PVR directly to the FS3 should be OK.

Cheers

Chris

munumuna
Visitor

Ok think I finally got some sort of workable solution.

Tried different wiring configurations etc. but no joy (sorry not savvy enough to attempt the resets/ firmware upgrades). Plugged the HDMI from the PVR into the slot marked 'Blu Ray' on the FS3 and all worked fine - the PVR signal reached the TV even when the FS3 was switched off. However, plugged the BR into the slot marked DVD - but could only get a signal from it by changing the input setting on the FS3. Ditto when swapped over.

Transpires, I think, that only the HDMI slot badged Blu-Ray on the FS3 allows a through signal when it is switched off.

Finally bit the bullet and fed an additional HDMI lead to the TV. Plugged the PVR into HDMI 1 and the HDMI from the FS3, which has the BD connected, into HDMI 2. Now all works fine. The PVR into HDMI 1 has priority but when the BD is switched on it automatically switches that input. The BD goes through the FS3 so the sound is good and the sound from the PVR goes from the TV back to the FS3 via optical digital lead.

All seems to work satisfactory now.

Thanks for your help.

Chris