Join now - be part of our community!

Notification sounds not working

SOLVED
magpiemariner
Visitor

Notification sounds not working

My wife's phone is not making sounds when SMS etc received, nor is it showing the icon in the notification bar. I have gone through all the settings I could find and made sure a sound is selected & the proper boxes are ticked; I copied from the settings on my phone, also an Xperia SP bought at the same time as hers. Mine works fine, hers does not. The SMS shows up when she opens the app, but no notifications. Her ring tone works when a call comes through and we hear the sound when selecting a tone in settings. Any clues will be gratefully received. Thanks.
46 REPLIES 46
magpiemariner
Visitor

Yes I had, but I wanted to leave that as a last resort. Now that the problem seems to be fixed, I'll leave that to another day. Thanks for your suggestion.

magpiemariner
Visitor

Please ignore my earlier question, I didn't read your message properly. Since posting that I went in to the messaging app, cleared data & rebooted, and sent a test from my own phone. The notification sound now works, as does the light show & the indicator of unread messages. Thank you for your help in this matter.

Now please tell me, why did it work? Did I do something? Or is it just one of those things?

profile.country.RO.title
_alexdon_
Expert

If you clear data for messages,it resets all settings applied for it.Maybe a reset was all that was needed.

alexdon
geminimax
Visitor

scroll sideways for the all button, i was having same problem with mine but its sorted now. Thank you.

Seano34
Visitor

I had the same problem on my new Z5 and using this setting worked for me. Thanks.

fredrikcarlus
Visitor

i am having sounds problems too, with my xperia M2.  

i get text and phone call sounds.

there seems to be some sound SOMETIMES when i get notifications.NOT always.

but there is NOO sound for fb messenger notifications.

I have cleared data like previous posts., restarted,  been on settings everwhere...

on my OLD phone, lumia, is so much easier to find settings , it has "manage app sounds"
guess i have to keep my old phone so i can hear sounds for FB messages...

sookyun
Visitor

i've try your solution that open setting>apps>all>messaging>clear data and restart, i've did twice but it still not working.

NerdyDavros
Visitor

I also had the same problem, but this was not the solution. Turns out that with my Xperia M4 Aqua, the SMS notifications are tied to the "Media Volume". So because the Media volume was reduced, I wasn't able to hear my phone recieve SMS's. Turned up volume, problem fixed.

If Sony would change this, that would solve so many issues.

Bowlingstorm
Visitor

I just fixed this exact problem with my phone. Go to settings-application manager-messages unblock notifications
Sony_18
Visitor

Same problem. I cant hear any notification sound. Checked every setting. Still notifications make no sound just the vibration