Join now - be part of our community!

Freeview on Sony KDL42W829

SOLVED
munkian

Freeview on Sony KDL42W829

Hello

I have a Sony KDL42W829 with build in freeview HD

I only seem to have a sky dish coming into the house - the skybox has a working card in so I can receive some channels through the skybox

I'd like to cut out the skybox alltogether and use freview hd just through the TV

Can I plug in the sky ariel to the back of TV to receive freeview hd ? 

If so, where do I plug in the ariel leads and set it up ?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

If you have no "Freeview" Aerial coming into the house, unfortunately you cannot obtain freeview and its EPG.

You can plug (screw) the satellite cable into the TV and then retune using "satellite" instead of aerial.  This will enable you to get all the channels that are "Free-To-Air" (FTA).  However you will not get much use of a EPG (Electronic Program Guide) - It will only display "Now" and "Next" in the EPG.  This is because the EPG for satellite for FTA channels is Freesat - and this TV doesnt have Freesat.

If you can live without an EPG (I couldnt) and all the channels in a non-ordered state, then by all means try it.  However, if not unfortunately you will be stuck with the Sky box (or alternatively purchase a freesat box) in order to receive FTA channels.

Hope this explain things.

Cheers

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

If you have no "Freeview" Aerial coming into the house, unfortunately you cannot obtain freeview and its EPG.

You can plug (screw) the satellite cable into the TV and then retune using "satellite" instead of aerial.  This will enable you to get all the channels that are "Free-To-Air" (FTA).  However you will not get much use of a EPG (Electronic Program Guide) - It will only display "Now" and "Next" in the EPG.  This is because the EPG for satellite for FTA channels is Freesat - and this TV doesnt have Freesat.

If you can live without an EPG (I couldnt) and all the channels in a non-ordered state, then by all means try it.  However, if not unfortunately you will be stuck with the Sky box (or alternatively purchase a freesat box) in order to receive FTA channels.

Hope this explain things.

Cheers

munkian

Doh ! Ok, cheers for this 

Anonymous
Not applicable

LOL, DOH !

Your Welcome :slight_smile: