Join now - be part of our community!

Home & Options buttons not working since BD player installed.

SOLVED
jabanks65
Explorer

Home & Options buttons not working since BD player installed.

I have a new KD-49X8585B which has worked perfectly, connected to my original Sony STR-DA1200ES receiver/amp and my virgin Media Tivo box.

I installed a new Sony BDP-S7200 blue ray player which also works well but when using the hdmi connection input between receiver and TV the HOME & OPTION buttons on the TV or the BD player remotes do not work. If I have the BD player switched off and am viewing from the Tivo and press the HOME button the TV indicator light flashes but the menu does not come up on screen, however the BD player then switches itself on. If I then switch the player off manually then the TV input is changed to HDMI 2 which is not in use.

If I switch the TV input to 'TV' then the Home & OPTION buttons work but I cannot alter the 3D settings in the Options menu.

The new BD player replaced a high spec Denon DVD player and when that was connected I could access all the remote control functions when the TV input was via HDMI.

What if anything do I need to change to be able to use the HOME & OPTION buttons whilst connected to the receiver via HDMI?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

The "problem" should be related to bravia sync. If it is enabled you have to push the "sync menu" button on the TV remote and select to use the tv remote to control the tv and NOT the device. By default it send the command from the TV remote to the device and not to the TV once the connection is switched

You can disable this feature in the setting of the TV it is annoying for you.

View solution in original post

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

Once you succeed in returning control to the Tv via sync menu any button should work (the 3D button too) ...

In any case there should be a setup menu for external connection in which an option is bravia sync (i don't have the tv on hand so I'm relying on my memory...). From there you can disable completely the bravia sync or choose the behaviour (only basic, basic plus advanced button, also the number button): if you choose the basic you'll send all the command from the remote to the TV by default 

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Which remote control are you using?  Are you using the TV's remote control, the AV Received, or the Tivo?

Cheers

Ryan_brown016
Explorer

Just seen this (after creating my own post)
I just tried unplugging the hdmi cables I had connected (sky and blu ray player) and the buttons work fine.
If anyone has any ideas would be great because as things stand despite loving the tv it's going back!
jabanks65
Explorer

Hi sorry for late reply, didn't get e mail notification of your answer even though I have that option ticked.

It happens with either the remote for the TV or the BD player, not the receiver or Tivo remotes.

When HDMI is selected as the TV input then the Options and HOME buttons do not work, even when the BD player is switched off.

jabanks65
Explorer

Additional info.

If I remove the HDMI cable from between the BD player and the receiver/amp,  then have the Tivo box on and the receiver connected to the TV via HDMI both the HOME and OPTIONS buttons work perfectly. 

As mentioned before the connections between the BD player and the receiver are exactly the same as the displaced Denon DVD player except for the audio connection, sadly the new Sony BD player does not have an optical cable connection so I have had to use co axial for the audio. The buttons worked perfectly with the Denon DVD player but not this new Sony BD player?????

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

The "problem" should be related to bravia sync. If it is enabled you have to push the "sync menu" button on the TV remote and select to use the tv remote to control the tv and NOT the device. By default it send the command from the TV remote to the device and not to the TV once the connection is switched

You can disable this feature in the setting of the TV it is annoying for you.

jabanks65
Explorer

That worked partially, but even though I could then access the OPTIONS menu some of the settings were not available such as full control of the 3D options which display fully when the BD player hdmi cable is disconnected.

I am struggling to find the option to disable bravia sync in the TV menus?????

One thing I have noticed is that whenever the TV/receiver and Tivo box is switched on, along the top of the screen it always says 'Player 1 (BD)'  even though the player is switched off.

Cancel that last comment, found the option to turn off Bravia Sync and can now use the Home & Option buttons correctly.

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

Once you succeed in returning control to the Tv via sync menu any button should work (the 3D button too) ...

In any case there should be a setup menu for external connection in which an option is bravia sync (i don't have the tv on hand so I'm relying on my memory...). From there you can disable completely the bravia sync or choose the behaviour (only basic, basic plus advanced button, also the number button): if you choose the basic you'll send all the command from the remote to the TV by default 

jabanks65
Explorer

I was editing my last post whilst you where replying.:) 

Your suggestion did the trick, I have completely disabled Bravia Sync and now have full use of the Home and Option buttons. I can always return and have a play around with the Bravia Sync menus if I feel I need to.

Thank you for your help.

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

:thumbsup: I'm happy you now are abel to use your setup.

The bravia sync features are terrific, but unfortunately you have to have all the device aligned (and sony...) to fully exploit it! I've the tv, ht, bdp connected and manage them using only the tv remote. I've also a DVD recorder from sony but unfortunately it doesn't support fully the bravia sync specs (i.e. I cannot use the play/stop button of the tv remote, just swith on/off automatically with the tv commands)