Join now - be part of our community!

Insufficient wireless signal strength, apparently

SOLVED
profile.country.GB.title
lithoartist

Insufficient wireless signal strength, apparently

My Sony TV model is KDL-32EX653.  I have fibre broadband that shows a regular 37.5Mb/s with an ethernet cable connection between my router and desktop PC.  My television sits in a room directly below my router. Trying to play iPlayer always ends with the screen going blank (as though the TV has been powered off) after five to ten minutes.  I have tried numerous broadband speed test checkers on the TV that do not require Flash.  I could get only two to work at all due to the way Sony internet works and only one of those two (Bandwidthplace) gave me any sort of result.  At best that was 2Mb/s.  I was astonished at the result.  I wonder if that is reasonable.  Are other makes of TV likely to be any better?  Could there be an issue with my TV?  What alternative solutions are there?  

16 REPLIES 16
profile.country.GB.title
lithoartist

Quinnicus

I appreciate your continuing interest.

I know so little about these matters but my feeling is the same as yours.  I omitted to write in my previous post that the TV had been taken away by another repair company and returned with no fault found when using its internet connection.  That is what prompted my original post because it had been suggested by someone else it could be a signal issue.  I asked this second repair company if it could bring a smart TV.  I felt that might shed light on the matter.  The engineer telephoned a moment ago and told me it would not prove anything unless it was the same or similar Sony model.  He is going to 'Q and A' Sony to determine whether it has any knowledge of this issue.

Anonymous
Not applicable

HI Lithoartist

Out of curiosity - What type of Router do you have?  Is it a standard ISP one (which ISP and which router?) , or ??

One other thing : Try this DNS address :   213.138.101.252        (its UK based from http://www.opennicproject.org/ )

Try it on both wireless and wired and see what happens. 

Cheers.

profile.country.GB.title
lithoartist

Quinnicus

My ISP is Plusnet and my router is TG582n FTTC.

I thank you for your suggestion: I shall try the DNS address you provided and inform you of the result.

profile.country.GB.title
lithoartist

Quinnicus

Results with the Primary DNS you suggested were 20 minutes wired and 23 minutes wireless before the screen went blank.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Oh well - thats a shame.

Unfortunately I have no other idea's im afraid.  The only suggestion I have is for you to report the TV as a hardware fault.  You said that JL engineers might replace one of the boards - contact them again.

Cheers

profile.country.GB.title
lithoartist

Quinnicus

Update

I received a telephone call today from the company handling my TV repair who had received a response from Sony.  Sony is aware of the issue, apparently, which can be caused by a change in the interface?  It is working to produce a software 'over the air' update by week ending 30th June to all affected televisions.  The person who spoke with me was not sure whether this might be done through the aerial so that I would not know specifically when it had been updated, or by a conventional software update message on the screen.

I apologise if I do not have all the terminology correct.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the update - interesting indeed.  However at least you now know where you stand, and that its a known problem, and a fix is due shortly. 

:clap: