Join now - be part of our community!

Sony Bravia TV EPG "no event information" on freesat

SOLVED
Solway
Explorer

Hi guys

Been trying to contact Sony via their web email support. the page endlessly loops on trying to send, no matter on what broswer i use. 😕 so here i am...

anyway

I have a Sony bravia TV KDL-42W805A.

I have recently cancelled my Sky package. so have been using the builtin freeview (aerial) for TV, which is all working fine.

However, i have decided to remove the freeview aerial and use the built in freesat tuner with existing Sky dish.

I can get over 800 channels with freesat. and the signal quality/strength is at the max. no issues there.

The issue im having is:

the EPG does not populate with information. all i get is "no event information". it will only appear once i view a channel. but im not flickering through 800 channels just to get the information to load

Because this don't load, it make the EPG completely useless

What am i doing wrong?

PS. the TV is not connected to the internet (yet) but has latest firmware update i think.

180 REPLIES 180
drfishflan
Explorer

I have bought a brand new sony tv and have this problem.

The EPG is incomplete.

Surely this would take very little development time for sony to fix this?

Terrible

profile.country.GB.title
eddiejcooper
Explorer

Take it back, get a refund as not fit for purpose. It's the only way Sony will learn.
profile.country.IE.title
orwell84

If you can, take it back.  Sony appear to have no interest in fixing the problem. 

Gracenote worked well on previous Sony TVs and still works but "newer" android TV sucks in this respect.  The Guide (for satellite) is all over the place, Services keep stopping and the Discover options only half work.  A fix should be easy since you have access to the Internet as was the solution in the past but Sony are not interested.

noswarpj
New

I purchased a KD43XE8004 TV in December 2017 and have just signed up to this forum.  I received an email as a result, part of which says:-

Sony – some of the team from Sony may also pop in and say hi from time to time – keep your eyes peeled!

Reading the various submissions on here, has there ever been a meaningful response posted (apart from just saying "hi" that is).

So here I am with my virtually brand new TV purchased as a fully working piece of equipment ---  except of course it's not.  The EPG for the satellite tuner it has to be said is nothing short of a very sick joke.  It may well be the EPG wont work properly in some areas or may not work properly in the future, however my TV was purchased from a Sony approved retailer so I would have expected the TV to be suitable for my area of the world and being brand new of course I would expect it to work properly for a short time at least.

It may well be circumstances beyond the control of Sony change in the future but not in a matter of a few days.

Judging by all the previous reviews, my situation is not new and Sony should have been aware of these problems (they do "pop in" every now and then after all).  Unfortunately the law being what it is my purchase contract is between me and the retailer and not between me and Sony which is probably just as well for Sony who can ride rough shod over all its consumer public.  They do however publish technical information for potential customers and surely here is the opportunity to grasp them firmly by the testicles.  As someone once said: "when you have got them grasped firmly by the balls, their hearts and minds are sure to follow".

So have any of my fellow whingers on this forum actually taken any tangible steps against Sony????

profile.country.IE.title
orwell84

First, the topic here is wrong it should read "Sony Bravia TV EPG "no event information" on satellite"  not FreeSAT.  Sony Android TVs are not Freesat enabled but Freeview. 

Second, you are right the satellite Guide is a joke.  It half works, and before anyone says anything, that is how non Freesat satellite Guides generally work without extra intervention by the manufacturer.  Sony did provide such a service in pre 2015 model Sony satellite TVs via Gracenote connecting to the internet to populate the guide.  Newer Android TVs don’t have this "Search" option but they do scan for program suggestions and that sort of works until you try to watch something - then the system tells you the program does not exist in the Guide.  This half baked guide also looks for encrypted satellite programs data and suggest these too even though the Sony TV is not a Sky box obviously.   Its just a terrible implementation and Sony have no interest in doing anything about it since they sold Gracenote.  

Thirdly, it's not beyond Sony capabilities to implement something the same as they had on previous models, it's just they can't be bothered.  For example Enigma boxes which are not Freesat search for satellite program data, so there could be a solution, just Sony don't care.

Fourthly, if there are Sony people on here they are hiding.

Finally, is there a point in taking it up with Sony?  No, is the simple answer.  The only recourse is to not buy Sony products in future.  I was a Sony man buying phones, PlayStation, tv etc.  for years but have dumped them in favour of Samsung and other suppliers.  Pity because their TVs were always great for picture and sound.  Maybe if enough people boycott buying new stuff they will listen to loyal customers.  BUT - I doubt it!   BTW we are not whingers, just unhappy customers because the specs say the tv has an EPG and no mention is made that the satellite version sucks.

profile.country.GB.title
TFFZeldar
Explorer

I worked at Sony for a short time many years ago and I agree. I have contacted Sony with no avail . I have decided to never buy another Sony product unless this is resolved, and am looking to switch to Xbox.

Get Outlook for iOS
profile.country.GB.title
dabrigd80

I totally agree Orwell84.

Sadly you don’t imagine that you need to review this sort of thing when you spend so much on a TV, the EPG is such a basic thing.

Given the opportunity I WOULD NOT BUY ANOTHER SONY TV, NORE WOULD I RECOMMEND THEM.

All the other good features pale into insignificance as it’s impossible to plan your viewing and even worse, RECORDING programs you are not going to be able to watch.

I AM BITTERLY DISSAPOINTED!

profile.country.IE.title
Micksul

I have the 2015 4k 43 inch android model with this issue.

I bought a 49 inch 2018 4k android model last week for another room and am disappointed that it has the same issue.

Can someone from Sony PLEASE tell us if this is on the roadmap to be fixed?!?

Edit: @Sony why is this thread marked as solved?

RobH291
Explorer

They have no plans to fix and the TV is **** and slow to respond to comm and buy a Samsung or you will regret purchasing the Sony tv I somtimes want to bin it even though brand new. It's very very poor

Sent from Galaxy

< profanity removed >

profile.country.IE.title
orwell84

@dabrigd80@Micksul  Its sad to see so long after I originally posted on this issue that TVs are still been sold with the same issue.  It's a disgrace.  

Sony give some technical *****-eyed story about the LNB not being powered on Standby.  Actually that can be a valid cause but such problems have work arounds. Technology and software is full of workarounds to solve problems for customers.  This is a lame excuse from Sony and sadly the type of lame excuse more prevalent from Sony in past years.  Bravia 2015 pre Android models had the same potential problem but the issue was resolved by Gracenote searching for listings online.  When this generation of Bravia Android TVs was launched the Sideview App had listings and I could plan and record, but Sony scrapped the only useful features of that app and turned into a simple remote control - I can buy one of those for a tenner in Tesco!  Sony sold Gracenote and now have a lame version of EPG for satellite on their TVs.  No problem in taking your money but don't expect this to be fixed - Sony have no interest in some users needs.   

As a result I made my latest choices as a consumer, others need to do the same.

THEN

Previous purchase TV  =  Sony   

Previous mobile phone = Sony Xperia

Previous gaming box = Sony Playstation

NOW

Most recent purchased TV = Samsung (Best 4K TV bar none!)

Most recent purchased mobile phone = Huawei P20 Pro and Samsung 9Plus

Most recent gaming box = Xbox X

Thanks Sony you killed the trust of a very loyal customer of 20 years.  I have also advised many of friends and colleagues against buying your products.  Estimated potential lost revenue to Sony 100-200K I'd say.

And this issues is NOT SOLVED it is status IGNORED