Join now - be part of our community!

Sony Bravia TV EPG "no event information" on freesat

SOLVED
Solway
Explorer

Hi guys

Been trying to contact Sony via their web email support. the page endlessly loops on trying to send, no matter on what broswer i use. 😕 so here i am...

anyway

I have a Sony bravia TV KDL-42W805A.

I have recently cancelled my Sky package. so have been using the builtin freeview (aerial) for TV, which is all working fine.

However, i have decided to remove the freeview aerial and use the built in freesat tuner with existing Sky dish.

I can get over 800 channels with freesat. and the signal quality/strength is at the max. no issues there.

The issue im having is:

the EPG does not populate with information. all i get is "no event information". it will only appear once i view a channel. but im not flickering through 800 channels just to get the information to load

Because this don't load, it make the EPG completely useless

What am i doing wrong?

PS. the TV is not connected to the internet (yet) but has latest firmware update i think.

180 REPLIES 180
Tru8888
Explorer

The YouTube app now only works sometimes and if i try to search for and add a channel name manually for the satellite EPG it locks up for 20 seconds before restarting the TV.

My previous Samsung TV was far better and ill be going back to them. 

Only decent thing left of Sony is PlayStation. 

profile.country.IE.title
Micksul

As Sony have marked this thread as resolved, posting anything in this thread appears to be a waste of time as Sony are ignoring it.

I have opened a new thread for my issue.

profile.country.GB.title
dabrigd80

I think I will be telling my story on Facebook.
profile.country.IE.title
Micksul

Sony told me via my ticket they would not allow me to return the TV under warranty as they can't guarantee the availability of EPG data with satellite broadcast.

They also refused my request to extend the warranty on the TV as a gesture of good will even though my local dealership offers an extended warranty through Sony for the same TV.

Heads-up to anyone out there considering buying a Sony Bravia Android TV and expecting a normally functioning EPG that you can record with, you won't get one.

You can expect this EPG instead20181012_175807.jpg

Lesson learned, it's Samsung for me next time out.

profile.country.IE.title
orwell84

Alas @Micksul you have found out what the new Sony is like.  They care about PS4, games  and other technologies.  They used to be a great innovator and producer of great consumer products but no longer.  They make huge profits now so why care about a couple of thousand disgruntled owners!

Its simple thay could implement or finance a developer to produce an Android app guide which updates over the internet as they did in the past.  Probably  a subscription model of a couple of quid per year for a decent app but alas no one at Sony cares.  It is possible on Enigma boxes and other technogies but Sony is not capable of the task,  Gracenote also have the cheek to be stil promoting the old Sony EPG on their website too!  

Right now you cannot record satellite programs unless you are actually there to start the recording.  I suppose this is what Sony call progress?  Mights as well use an  old betamax recorder!

To add insult to injury Sony are still stating that Android TVs have EPG in their brochures,  No warnings, no note to state satellite is limited, nothing.  Seems to me dishonest and deceptive.  Some journalist or lawyer should all them out on this,

profile.country.IE.title
Micksul

@orwell84 I just checked and you are spot on.

Sony are calling out this EPG as a "feature" on their website for my TV at https://www.sony.ie/electronics/televisions/xf8005-xf8096-series/specifications#features

Unbelievable.

I guess there is an EPG, it just doesn't contain any information!!!

20181012_215307.jpg

profile.country.GB.title
dabrigd80

I have posted my disgust on all of the Sony Facebook pages, let’s see if this prompts some action.

You might consider similar action

profile.country.GB.title
dabrigd80

We might be getting somewhere:

Dear Mr Brigden

Thank you for contacting Sony support. 

We are sorry to learn that your Sony KD-55A1 is displaying no information in the guide. In an attempt to resolve the matter please perform the below steps:

1-Remove all external devices. 

2-Unplug TV from mains and plug it back in after 2 minutes. 

3-Ensure that the TV is running on 6.5629 software version, by checking:

Home - Help and you will see the software version at the top right of your screen.

If your TV is not running on the above software version, please visit the below link for the latest update:

https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/support/oled-tvs-android-a1-series/kd-55a1/downloads/00015577

4-Unplug your antenna and start tuning your TV as shown in the below link:

https://helpguide.sony.net/tv/eaep1/v1/en/08-04_14.html?hl=tuning

Your TV will find zero services, replug your TV and start tuning again. 

5-Perform a factory reset as follows:

Home - Settings - Storage and reset - Factory data reset.

Having the issue persists, we are seeking your cooperation to reply with the below to investigate the matter further from our end:

1-Did you experience the same problem with the previous software version?

2-How does your TV receive its broadcast signal? 

3-Do you use a CAM card? 

4-Do you use a set-top box?

5-How often do you experience this problem? 

6-Please provide steps to reproduce this problem.

7-Is there any workaround or solution found to this problem?

8-If the answer above is Yes, please describe the work-around or solution?

Should you have any further questions, please feel free to reply to this email.

Thank you for your enquiry.

Yours sincerely,

Jasmine

SONY SUPPORT TEAM

profile.country.GB.title
stormyuk
Expert

That just looks like standard reset everything, the fact is on Sony TVs there is no EPG for the satellite tuner, so its unlikely to get anywhere unfortunately.

profile.country.IE.title
orwell84

@stormyukI can only agree with your assessment.  It seems to be the same old same old reset everything but the EPG will still not work on satellite.  

@dabrigd80The simple request to make of Sony is to implement on Android TVs an EPG for satellite that is the same as pre 2015 Sony Bravia TVs.   I have an older non Android model and the EPG works perfectly getting information from the internet but my newer Android model does not.  Anything less in a newer TV is simply a admission by Sony that their newer TVs are a retrograde step.  How can buyers ever trust Sony again when we cannot  depend on the supplied specifications?