Join now - be part of our community!

Sony Bravia TV EPG "no event information" on freesat

SOLVED
Solway
Explorer

Hi guys

Been trying to contact Sony via their web email support. the page endlessly loops on trying to send, no matter on what broswer i use. 😕 so here i am...

anyway

I have a Sony bravia TV KDL-42W805A.

I have recently cancelled my Sky package. so have been using the builtin freeview (aerial) for TV, which is all working fine.

However, i have decided to remove the freeview aerial and use the built in freesat tuner with existing Sky dish.

I can get over 800 channels with freesat. and the signal quality/strength is at the max. no issues there.

The issue im having is:

the EPG does not populate with information. all i get is "no event information". it will only appear once i view a channel. but im not flickering through 800 channels just to get the information to load

Because this don't load, it make the EPG completely useless

What am i doing wrong?

PS. the TV is not connected to the internet (yet) but has latest firmware update i think.

180 REPLIES 180
profile.country.GB.title
samuelsmith
Explorer

I know this has been going on for 6 years now - but having just bought a new KD55XG9505BU and updated it to Android 9 - this problem still seems to exist.

If you view a channel the EPG information will be pulled, but only for that single channel and if you turn off the TV the information is gone.

Surly this is a quick fix to auto pull the information down whilst in stand-by for all channels?
Has anyone else had any more success?
Sam 

profile.country.GB.title
geoffs4

RegardsGeoff
profile.country.GB.title
dabrigd80

Neve has been, never will be Geoff. It’s too difficult for Sony’s technicians

profile.country.GB.title
kevfeath
Explorer

I strongly suggest everybody here who is upset with the faulty software begin contacting Sony to ask them when they plan to fix the issue or provide partial refund as per the Consumer Rights Act 2015 as this is a fault at factory issue. I have begun this process but so far Sony is refusing to cooperate, although they are not ignoring my communications. I am nearly at the stage where a complaint can be submitted to Sony UK. 

If the complaint is not addressed in a reasonable amount of time (normally 8 weeks) then an Ombudsman will look into it, in this case Retail ADR. Authorised Ombudsman organisations do not usually look into old complaints, and won't look into any individuals complaint that is currently involved in legal recourse brought by that individual... so it means you should use the reminder functions in your laptops or phones to remind you it has been 8 weeks since you sent Sony your complaint (provided they do not get back to you). If Sony's complaints department rejects yours complaint before the 8 weeks you can then go immediately to the Ombudsman.

The specification page for my model (49XE8396) clearly states there is an EPG. There is no mention that the application is faulty, or is not intended to provide EPG functionality. The page is explicit that this model has EPG which the consumer must assume means is the data presented to the customer, the app itself is not the EPG. The EPG is the program listings and other information around the programmes on air and coming up next. There is no mention on the specification page that the EPG is limited to just terrestrial over the air signals, it states 'Yes'. That implies to the consumer that there is an EPG for both the Terrestrial OTA and Satellite signals. 

A major misconception from another poster in this thread is that he\she appears to have thought the EPG was the app. EPG is not the app... it is the information of the programme listings for the broadcasts. To be more specific, the EPG is information held by the provider on their database (examples include Freeview, Freesat, GraceNote etc.) and the Guide app on the Bravia Android televisions simply arranges the EPG for visual consumption. The EPG must also continuously update which we know is not the case on Bravia televisions for Satalite signals, and this has been the case for several years.  With the detail in the specifications page for my model of television this does not mean Sony must provide the Freesat EPG, it means they must provide a working EPG for Satellite signals AND terrestrial over the air signals. 

Ergo Sony are required by the Consumer Rights Act 2015 to either fix the fault so that the EPG satellite signals now populates, or provide a partial refund, or even replace the unit with one with a working EPG. 

I strongly recommend you begin your complaints procedure with Sony, and if there is an unsatisfactory outcome after 8 weeks you need to take this to the ombudsman named Retail ADR as this is a fault at factory. It is not for the seller to fix the fault. Also... screenshot everything. I am trying to add the specifications page for my TV to the 'Wayback Machine' hosted by Archive.org but it seems to be having trouble with the Sony.co.uk domain, I will look for alternative Internet Archival services to see if they have more success. You should also screenshot this thread, and possibly others as many more exist for this issue. Don't forget that screenshots should be taken of any communication made with Sony via social media, such as the Direct Message feature within Twitter. These will need to be sent to the ombudsman to show that you tried to explain the problem, what you expect to be done by Sony and Sony's response. 

I do not want a partial refund, I want Sony to either fix the EPG or be forced to explicitly state to all future customers that their satellite based EPG offering does not work. The latter would be too embarrassing so I expect the Sony to take the Ombudsman's option to fix this problem for all Bravia owners with devices connected to the internet to receive the patch.

profile.country.GB.title
dabrigd80

An excellent post, it’s about time we put some pressure on Sony to resolve this fault

profile.country.GB.title
Baldy1967
Explorer

Well said kevfeath,

i bought  the 2019 Sony KD-55AG8 tv in January 2020 and have since been trying to find solution to the Program Guide problem when i came across this forum. I didn't realise this was a long standing problem as only my new one has this problem as the other 2  i still have are pre2012. I have another question coinciding with this, does anyone else's Satellite Guide disappear if you tune Youview?

I put a 1* review on the Sony site because of this (which i can't find anymore), i got a response but a VERY arrogant one, just referring me to top market reviews as though they were voted top so they don't need to correct faults in the software, which is what pushed me to reply to this forum.

Could someone please explain the steps on

1. who to write to or email

and

2. who to contact if there reply is unsatisfactory/non-existant?

kevfeath are these

1.Sony Uk & 2.Retail ADR?

and have you had any reply?

As i too am prepared to push this as far as i can.

Cheers Baldy.

profile.country.GB.title
Baldy1967
Explorer

Have just contacted Sony and sent this, does anyone think this is too brash?

Are Sony ever going to address the age old problem with Sony tv's Satellite Program Guide not populating and before you try saying this is just my tv, there are FIFTEEN pages of complaints dating back to 2012 on an OFFICIAL Sony site forum or are you so arrogant as to ignore these, like you were earlier this year when my poor review of my AG8 was replied to with the arrogance with no explanation just a link to Market reviews voting them top attempting to show Sony don't need to be better because we are already the best. I always pay the extra to buy Sony Tv's and still have two older Sony Tv's which don't have this problem as they are pre2012, but this is the first time i have been compelled to complain by Sony's arrogancy.
Hope to receive a competant reply as i am now considering taking this further as a Tv is firstly a Tv and needs a Program Guide.

profile.country.GB.title
samuelsmith
Explorer

Hi Sony,

May I ask if you have looked into this and if the a solution is being worked on?

Your android TVs are some of the best TVs out there - but this is such a deal breaker for anyone that wants to get one!

Many thanks,
Samuel

profile.country.GB.title
philuk11
Explorer

Absolutely devastated after spending 2k on the Brava KD65A8 (2020 model) only to find out after my sat box failed i thought would just use the BRAVIA satellite feeds to find the EPG does not work.  After spending many hours configuration and contacting SONY to be finally informed my model does not included FREE SAT hence why the EPG will not work.  This is a 12month old TV and does not include FREE SAT. 

Wish i had gone with another make such as LG or Samsung 😞

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown2
Hero

@philuk11 

How long have you had it? Perhaps the retailer would look favourably on a swap, if they do not want an unhappy customer.

Did you mention you wanted the Freesat EPG when you bought the set? In which case the retailer must swap it for you, as ‘goods not fit for purpose’, or as ‘goods not as described’ if the retailer assured you it had this, even if Sony didn’t.

If no go, how much to repair or replace your sat box? This should have had a life of up to six years, even if any warranty on it has expired.

My favourite bedtime reading is a Sony product manual…