Join now - be part of our community!

blank screen after installing wrong graphics driver

bobbitybob
Visitor

blank screen after installing wrong graphics driver

Have been updating an older machine that has not been used for some time (VAIO VGX-XL202, XP, NVIDIA Geforce 7600GT). Updates went fine until I installed the updated graphics drivers (from NVIDIA site that automatically detected card and offered updated drivers). On reboot I have a blank screen. I do not have recovery discs, and pressing F10 repeatedly after switching on still leaves the screen blank. Any advice would be appreciated!

:slight_frown:

10 REPLIES 10
bobbitybob
Visitor

I suspect many users will already be aware that Sony recommend that updates be downloaded from their site only, not from third party sites. The reason being that Sony do not necessarily use 'over the counter hardware or software' (including 0S). For example the graphics card NVIDIA GeForce 7600GTL in the XL202 is a Sony specific version of the retailed GT7600, and is therefore not supported by NVIDIA. However, both Sony and NVIDIA support are very surprised that the graphics driver that I downloaded from the NVIDIA site would have disabled any ability to roll back to a previous configuration. In the first instance, they both believe that the problem is with the hardware, and for this reason Sony have suggested that the machine be returned for repair, effectively ending their e-support. Sony quoted £212 for diagnosis only, repairs would be extra!!!!

I personally believe it is the graphics driver that is the problem, but until I can get access to a DVI enabled monitor to try out Chaffbox's recommendation this will remain on the backburner for me.