Join now - be part of our community!

browse problems

soxaz
Visitor

browse problems

i can not browse several links...such as hotmail.com, mototriti.gr and many others..i tried disabling firewalls but nothing,i replaced norton with nod32 still nothing.does any one know what must i do.i have vgn-fe31m one mont before i bought it.should i take it back to the store and they find why??my rotter is linksys.HELP!!my mail is soxazadult@yahoo.com

7 REPLIES 7
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi soxaz and welcome to Club Vaio.

I found that reducing the MTU to 1400 in the router's configuration was necessary to connect reliably to some sites like MSN and e-Bay.

Worth a try !

:wink:

Baggsy
Visitor

This may be connected to several issues.

Firstly, what browser are you using, and what version of it? Do you have any other applications installed that uses the internet connection at the same time? Have you ran a full ad-/spy-/malware scan and deleted anything suspicious?

Secondly we need to take a look at your router. What is enabled and disabled of security features in it, is NAT on or off? Is your computer configured to be in the DMZ of the router or not?

There's also the chance that your ISP's DNS server doesn't handle URL requests properly. In stead of just typing in "hotmail.com", try with www.hotmail.com" and so on. I've been changing between ISPs quite often, and some DNS servers aren't configured properly to process URLs without the leading "www" for some sites.

You may also try to access the sites via their designated IP address in stead of a URL. To get to Hotmail, just type 216.219.72.36 into your browser's address bar and hit enter. To find the IP address of other sites, open up a command prompt (Start - Run, type "cmd" without the quotes and click OK) and ping the URL. Just type

ping www.hotmail.com
to get the IP of Hotmail, and just substitute "www.hotmail.com" with the address you want to get to.
You'll get a response like this if the site is up and working, and your computer is able to connect to it:
Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\>ping www.hotmail.com

Pinging www.hotmail.com [216.219.72.36] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 216.219.72.36: bytes=32 time=71ms TTL=49
Reply from 216.219.72.36: bytes=32 time=28ms TTL=49
Reply from 216.219.72.36: bytes=32 time=29ms TTL=49
Reply from 216.219.72.36: bytes=32 time=29ms TTL=49

Ping statistics for 216.219.72.36:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 28ms, Maximum = 71ms, Average = 39ms

C:\>_

You can get the IP address of every website in existence with this command, as long as the site is up and running.

However, if you get a reply like this:
Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\>ping www.hotmail.com

Pinging www.hotmail.com with 32 bytes of data:

Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.

Ping statistics for www.hotmail.com:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 0, Lost = 4 (100% loss),

C:\>_

That means the site is unavailable and/or doesn't exist. If you get this response for a well know site, like Hotmail, talk to your ISP and see what they have to say about it.

If the site is pingable, then it's either a DNS or browser problem, in wich case I'd recommend you talk to your ISP about it and see if thay have imposed any filters or have DNS problems.

If it's a browser problem, post back in this thread, and I (or whoever gets here first) will be able to help you further.

daryl_mushtaq
Visitor

hi- i agree that it is an mtu issue

you're not with talk talk are you???

Sites such as hotmail and the ebay login ramp their firewalls up to the hilt. Crap services such as talk talk have issues somewhere along the line which you can only resolve by reducing your ip packet size.

google "drtcp" and run the prog- then drop the mtu value to 1400 or 1436 (for the network adapter in question).

in the past i have found that this often needs to be done on the pc rather than the router (claimed that the mtu on the router needs to be higher than the pc- not sure why but hey it works)

soxaz
Visitor

thanks but nothing still!!!i have mozila ffox. iex7 i changet mtu in the rouuter and the pc still nothing!!!i should call vaio i cant think of anything else!i am typing www.hotmail.com of corse and i tried with the isp addresss...i am desperate!!

TW
Visitor

Try to give some more details, I believe we can help here.

skykit84
New

A friend of mine had this problem and it was fixed remotely via Webex.

The cause was proxy servers from NTL from what I remember
Even though it was a fresh install..!

once the correct settings were recieved from NTL, it was set in windows and it worked

funnily enough, themachine was restored back to factory state again and then it worked fine without the proxy settings

daryl_mushtaq
Visitor

hi

forgot to mention that there are those who believe that the mtu on your pc should be lower than those on the router.

i recently found that dropping down to 1400 on the router oly made no difference but putting the router back to 1500 and dropping the pc to 1400 did work- check out the link

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/578

Another thing worth while doing is try another isp. either find an open wifi access point or use a dial up. and turn off the firewall on your pc (nor router), also with your pc firewall on allow your router to respondind to imcp pings.

let us know how it goes.

goodluck