Join now - be part of our community!

Can I use my own Vista disc?

beckh
Visitor

Can I use my own Vista disc?

My Vaio came with a recovery partition which I have created discs for.

Thing is I have my own proper vista disc that I wish to use as my experience with manufacturers recovery discs are not very good.
The plan is to use the proper vista disc but use the key from the Vaio. I know I can do this legally as a disc is just a disc, both versions are home Premium, as long as I use the right key.

However, I have read on several forum posts that if you use any other software other than the recovery disc supplied, it invalidates your warranty. I cannot see how this would be true as some people would choose to maybe down to XP or even use Linux. So I think its just rubbish talk, but you never know with some companies.

So I just want to double check, is it okay to use another version?

Thanks

14 REPLIES 14
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi beckh,

You will not be able to activate a Retail Version of Vista using the Sony OEM Key.

:slight_frown:

beckh
Visitor

Hi, Its an oem vista disc I have. As far as I know, all versions of vista are on the same disc, its just the product key which dictates what version is installed. Same for the way XP was - I was able to use an oem xp disc and a proper key with my old laptop.

Regardless of the issue as to whether it can or cannot be done, really what I need to know is whether it is against the 12 month warranty or not? I cannot see how it would be as people should be free to install whatever operating system they want providing it is legal.

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

I know it used to work with XP but it won't work with Vista.

I am no lawyer but I know Microsoft consider it illegal. When restoring your system using the Sony Recovery Utility and software, you will NEVER be asked to enter a Key. It is not a legal installation Key. You have bought the Sony OEM Version and that is the only version you legally own. It is of course legal if you use the Key from the Retail disc.

If it did work, you would have to reinstall the original Sony OEM Operating System before making a warranty claim. That is the only way you can prove you have not caused something to malfunction by not using the system that Sony support. Sony will not guarantee support for any other system - this was the same with XP.

I am totally unclear why you should want to do this.

:thinking:

beckh
Visitor

Well the reason I wish to do this is because I do not have much faith in recovery partitions.

My last laptop I had I created the discs and everything seemed fine. When it got to a point I needed to use them, firstly the discs failed and secondly the partition did not actually work (probably why the discs also failed). So I ended up buying an OEM XP disc and using the key on the underside of the laptop.

I just have a nervousness of these partitions and I would rather be able to use a disc that I know does work.

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

I know how you feel and do sympathise. I think this is a loophole Microsoft were quick to plug!

I always make several Recovery Disc Sets and test them to make sure they are OK.

My advice would be to install Acronis True Image 10 and make a full image of your hard drive onto DVDs or preferably an external HDD. This has saved me several times in the past as you can restore your whole hard drive (inclusing Recovery Partitions, all settings, all MS Updates, all Vaio Updates, all data, all added programs) and all you need to do is top it up every month or so. You can restore an exact snapshot or your configured drive.

:wink:

beckh
Visitor

Thanks Blencogo, I might do an image like that, it would be preferable at least that way I can image it the way I want without the bloatware included.

Niska
Visitor

Hi Blencogo,

I see you are using Acronis True Image v10. I do too. One question: do you know if it works with VAIO equipped with two HD in raid 0 configuration, like: VGN-AR41S ?

I, too backed up the whole C: drive, recovery partition and all on a USB pocket drive.
RAID HD is no problen then as True Image runs on top of Vista and has access to the drivers. But now if you have to restore using True Image bootable rescue media (CD), the windows RAID drivers are not available anymore and unless the Linux drivers on the rescue disk do the work, you are stuck!

Thanks in advance

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi Niska,

You need to create the Standalone Boot Disc and check if you can boot from it using the Linux Drivers. I think you will find most common SATA/RAID configurations are supported. It works OK for my RC102 SATA/INTEL RAID/XP configuration.

If not you will have to use a BartPE plugin to allow you to use the Windows drivers for the RAID array when running Acronis True Image from a BartPE bootable CD.

Alternatively contact Acronis support and they can probably give you a Linux driver - but as I said, I expect your Intel RAID configuration will be supported anyway.

:wink:

beckh
Visitor

Hi again,

I looked at Acronis True Image but its a bit pricey and I am skinto at the moment.

Is there another similar program that is cheaper that you could recommend please?

I do know of some brands like symantec ghost, but I have no idea whether they are reliable.

Thanks for all your help.