Join now - be part of our community!

Can I use my own Vista disc?

beckh
Visitor

Can I use my own Vista disc?

My Vaio came with a recovery partition which I have created discs for.

Thing is I have my own proper vista disc that I wish to use as my experience with manufacturers recovery discs are not very good.
The plan is to use the proper vista disc but use the key from the Vaio. I know I can do this legally as a disc is just a disc, both versions are home Premium, as long as I use the right key.

However, I have read on several forum posts that if you use any other software other than the recovery disc supplied, it invalidates your warranty. I cannot see how this would be true as some people would choose to maybe down to XP or even use Linux. So I think its just rubbish talk, but you never know with some companies.

So I just want to double check, is it okay to use another version?

Thanks

14 REPLIES 14
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi Beckh,

Paragon Drive Backup 8.5 Personal Edition was free on the PC Pro Cover DVD last month. This seems to do the same thing and Paragon are an OK software firm.

If you PM me an address, I'll post the DVD to you.

:wink:

beckh
Visitor

HI, thanks for the offer, I think we actually have last months edition still in the shop, so I will check at work for it.

If not I shall let you know, cheers for the help. :slight_smile:

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi Beckh,

Paragon Drive Backup 8.5 Personal Edition was free on the PC Pro Cover DVD last month. This seems to do the same thing and Paragon are an OK software firm.

If you PM me an address, I'll post the DVD to you.

:wink:

What an excellent offer Belncogo.. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

TheDuchess
Visitor

I too would lke to use my own disk, so that I can get rid f all the Bloatware, and the partition
Earle :devil:

Niska
Visitor

Thanks ,

I think Vista made it more complicated. When a boot from the True Image rescue boot CD, it only see C: but not the logical partition 😧 I made. This VAIO had almost 300 GB of free space. I had to partition it.

Acronis people told about the BartPE ... problem is that you have to built it with the OS disk and adding the Windows drivers and... I don't have the Vista disc and the drivers are somewhere on Sony recovery partition, out of my reach.

Acronis is looking into it. I may post askin if someone has succeeded with True Image to recover the whole disk when partitionned.