Join now - be part of our community!

I think my laptop has died (screen)

frozST
Visitor

I think my laptop has died (screen)

Hi,

I've a FS315M bought 1 year ago and today has started to fail. when i turn on the computer the lcd screen seems to be broken. I can't see anything, windows starts but the screen is completly black 😞

6 REPLIES 6
skykit84
New

look really closly
are you sure the screen is not on but without any backlight?

Most screens have invertor issues down the line where the "light" is gone but if you look really hard, you can see the image behind it
especially if you had the sony logo at bootup coming up which is easier to see than the XP one for instance (sony being white etc)

its funny, only the other day I had to put an FS series laptop into our spares area because it has water damage, though the screen and its invertor as perfect

frozST
Visitor

well, it happens only when the laptop is "hot". I mean, if i restart now i'm sure won't work but if I wait 5 or 10 minutes to "calm" the laptop it will star perfectly.

I think I will open my laptop and i'll try to clean.

skykit84
New

well, it happens only when the laptop is "hot". I mean, if i restart now i'm sure won't work but if I wait 5 or 10 minutes to "calm" the laptop it will star perfectly.

I think I will open my laptop and i'll try to clean.

I'd use an airduster to clear out any clogged up fans
Its possible your GPU is getting hot hence the screen going black but I'd personally expect a crash

are you able to connect the laptop to an external monitor?

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi forzST,

You can check the temperature of your vaio by download and installing MobileMeter

Please post back with the recorded CPU temperature please... :slight_smile:

frozST
Visitor

Well, I thought it was "when it was hot" but I've been trying to turn on but the screens is off (but with the backlight on). I think is definitely broken, or whatever.

I'm going to open my lapton and clean all the conections but i have no hope :(.

Any idea? If this doesn't work I will go to a unnoficcial sony service to fix it, If the problem is in the inverter i hope it will be cheap, i hope so...

Thanks you a lot!!

frozST
Visitor

And yes, I can connect to a monitor with the VGA conection