Join now - be part of our community!

Increase RAM/Memory for a PCV-RX624

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
kionis
Visitor

Increase RAM/Memory for a PCV-RX624

Hi,

I'm hoping someone can help. I have a SONY VAIO PCV-RX624 desktop that I purchased some years ago. Its an still going strong and I have no plans to chage it despite buying it back in 2003.

One thing that does need upgrading is the amount of RAM. It currently has 512 MB of PC2700 (DDR333) SDRAM.

The manual it came with say the maximum RAM is 1GB. Does anyone know anything about this? Would I need to take out the existing 512 and replace with a 1GB piece of memory. Or can I simply slot in an extra 512?

Also, is the memory specific to Sony or can I purchase another type to slot in? If its specific to Sony, then would it still be available given its such an old machine?

Thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi kionis,

Your machine has two memory slots and can support 512MB per slot. Whether you will need to remove the existing memory depends on whether it was shipped with a single 512MB module or two 256MB modules.

The memory is not specific to Sony and I suggest that you have a look at the Crucial site as they guarantee compatibility.

http://www.crucial.com/uk/store/listparts.aspx?model=VAIO%20PCV-RX624&Cat=RAM

The link also contains a useful utility ‘Scan your system’ to view your specific system configuration.

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi kionis,

Your machine has two memory slots and can support 512MB per slot. Whether you will need to remove the existing memory depends on whether it was shipped with a single 512MB module or two 256MB modules.

The memory is not specific to Sony and I suggest that you have a look at the Crucial site as they guarantee compatibility.

http://www.crucial.com/uk/store/listparts.aspx?model=VAIO%20PCV-RX624&Cat=RAM

The link also contains a useful utility ‘Scan your system’ to view your specific system configuration.

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
profile.country.en_GB.title
kionis
Visitor

Hey Rich,

That's extremely useful, many thanks for the prompt reply.

Much appreciated.