Join now - be part of our community!

Laptop display to HDTV

Machew
Visitor

Laptop display to HDTV

Firstly I apologise if this has been covered but I'm getting frustrated and need some answers.

I have a VGN-FZ11M laptop with a GE Force 8400M GT graphics card, the computer is running windows Vista. I also have a Phillips 32" HDTV. I have connected the two together using SVHS and it works but the picture could be better, so I bought a HDMI lead to try that angle. It is there so I may as well use it!

The computer recognises the TV and displays the desktop, however the edges of the screen are cut off. I have been into the nVIDIA control panel and read through the help windows and it states that I should be able to click on the display resolution option in the Video & Television section and downsize the desktop. This option is not there.

I have also tried to work it through the display options but everytime I click the 2nd monitor and attempt to extend my desktop and change the resolution it just displays the wallpaper and nothing else. I have to go back to the nVIDIA control panel and clone the desktop, it doesn't let me use the dualview option as this does the same as extending the desktop through the display properties.

Is this just a driver issue. If so has anyone had this problem and reloaded the driver for the graphics card with some success? I only ask because I have heard of some horror stories of loading a new driver and indeed I have not been too successful in the past. I also don't want to start messing around and damage the computer.

Any advice will be gratefully received.

Regards

5 REPLIES 5
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hin Machew and welcome to Club Vaio.

What version of the nVidia forceware driver do you have installed?

The nVidia GeForce 8400M GT GPU is probably still running on beta drivers as it is so new. You can either wait for Sony to release a new driver or you can install a newer one from: -

http://www.laptopvideo2go.com/drivers/vista

using these instructions: -

http://www.laptopvideo2go.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=11997

:wink:

profile.country.en_GB.title
tonybeard
Explorer

Welcome to the forum,
Enable pixel-to-pixel mapping on your TV? (Deactivate overscan or adjust it)

It's not your notebooks fault. I have a LCD HD projector and found this option under 'Image' and I used the cursor up and down to adjust the overscan. Use a large bright picture and pull the edges in for your hdmi signal V position and H and the auto adjust should kick in for other signals

Machew
Visitor

Hi, and thank you for your prompt reply.

The forceware version installed is stated as 101.11. the driver is dated 10/04/2007. Think the date might be related to the purchase of the laptop, not the driver.

I'm still unsure as to install the driver as the link you suggested for the driver did not have my version of the GeForce 8400M GT. I only saw they have a version for the GeForce 8400 GS.

I suppose the best way to find out is to try it. I suppose I can always revert back to the back up if necessary.

Thanks again

Matt

Machew
Visitor

Hi and thanks for your reply also.

I have had a look on the TV options and there is nothing in the menu that allows me to adjust for overlapping. It appears to be an automatic connection.

I'm going to try the driver approach and see how I get on.

Thanks again

Matt

Machew
Visitor

I attempted the load of the new driver and this did not solve the problem. Any other suggestions guys?