Join now - be part of our community!

Memory Upgrade - PCG-GRT916z

Hull100
Visitor

Memory Upgrade - PCG-GRT916z

I have a PCG-GRT916z. It has 2 slots currently occupied with a 256m module in each. Sony state the max system memory is 1g but the Orca site says it can take 2g and they sell 1g modules (guaranteed 100% compatible). Does anyone know if this is correct.

Thanks in advance.

3 REPLIES 3
Resonate
Visitor

I have a PCG-GRT916z. It has 2 slots currently occupied with a 256m module in each. Sony state the max system memory is 1g but the Orca site says it can take 2g and they sell 1g modules (guaranteed 100% compatible). Does anyone know if this is correct.

Thanks in advance.

Hi Hull100 (If you relating to Hull City i live there to :tongue: )

I'm not sure. But from past experience when the manufacturer this time been sony say the max is a 1gig then i wouldnt go over it, It is true the modules may be 100% compatiable but i would check your motherboard to see its specs You wouldn't want to overload your system & fry all your components now would you ? :wink:

Hull100
Visitor

Thanks for the reply. I wasn't sure what the consequences might be and if it's frying everything then I definitely don't want to take that risk. What do I look for on the motherboard?

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi Hull,

Welcome to Club Vaio,

I've looked on the Orca site and it states the maximum RAM for your GRT916Z is 1GB, see below:

Memory Details for Sony VAIO (Laptop) PCG-GRT916Z
Standard Memory : 512MB (Removable)
Maximum Memory : 1GB
Total Memory Slots : 2
Memory Type : 200-Pin PC2700 (333Mhz) DDR SODIMM

Crucial.com state a maximum of 1GB ram also..

The 512MB memory modules from Crucial are cheaper than Orca at the moment.. :wink: