Join now - be part of our community!

Moving Large Files

Thunder
Visitor

Moving Large Files

Can anybody help me?

I am currently moving my files from my old Vaio to my new one and am having problems moving my Outlook mail pst file as it is just over 8GB.

Copy and paste doesn't work, Zip doesn't work, RAR doesn't work. I've run out of ideas!

Please help! It must be possible to move this file over somehow!

6 REPLIES 6
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

I think you may have to split the file into smaller archives - less than 4GB anyway.

:wink:

Thunder
Visitor

I'm not even sure that is possible.

Surely there must be a way of doing it.

ChalkyWhite71
Visitor

HI Thunder, i take it you've got the harddrive physically in the new Vaio, and not trying to copy over the network (not that i thought this mattered). Have you tried adding the disk as a second drive then copying?

8Gb for a mailfile! Wow! have you tried sorting your mail by size, and deleting those mails with large photo attachments etc. 😉 There must be a tool to strip attachments of a certain type from all emails, e.g. strip out all AVI or MPG

Good luck!

Thunder
Visitor

I'm sure this would be possible but it doesn't actually solve the problem.

Anybody know of a good file splitter that would work with a mail file?

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi Thunder,

using Win RAR have you tried splitting the outlook .pst file into a multivolume archive.?

If you're not sure how, use the following link: How can I split files to multivolume archives?

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi Thunder,

Assuming that your old Vaio HDD is formatted in FAT32 it will not process files larger than 4GB. Re-configuring the drive to NTFS should solve this problem.

You can reformat to NTFS:

How to convert a FAT16 volume or a FAT32 volume to an NTFS file system in Windows XP

This process should not affect any data but I recommend that you backup anyway…
I have used the above method without problem.

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat