Join now - be part of our community!

Performance problem sz3 pausing harddisk

mschipperheyn
Visitor

Performance problem sz3 pausing harddisk

Hi,

I have a performance problem with my sz3. The harddisk keeps pausing during intensive,long disk reads (e.g. startup, playing video's). You can see the harddisk light going out every other one or two seconds or so. I even notice it during playing of a Quicktime movie. Every other second or so, the sound stutters because of this.

I'm sure this is software related. The question is: how do you debug this issue and pinpoint it to the cuprit? I've been suspecting the antivirus suite, but I would not expect it to check every bit of data that is read from the harddisk. I haven't done a full system scan yet. Hmm, perhaps that could be the reason. I'll give that a go. Anyway, does anyone have other ideas?

Kind regards,

Marc

13 REPLIES 13
mschipperheyn
Visitor

Yes, that is no problem. In fact I have just rebooted after re-installing the event service and disabling it. After reinstalling it still showed the stuttering harddisk syndrom. After disabling and rebooting it didn't anymore.

However, I'm now left without my function keys. I can't manage sounds, brightness and beamer switch with the keyboard anymore. Pretty crucial stuff for me. So now, I suppose I'm looking for a service that can turn those back on again without destroying performance.

BTW, it seems unbelievable to me that such a key component malfunctions in such a performance killing way. I wonder if there is some kind of destructive interaction or lack thereof with another service that is the reason.

Kind regards,

Marc

mikezoe
Visitor

I have same problem with slowing up of loading the OS, application loading and running apps including video from the HD with a SZ1XP/C and have sent it back to Sony for repair. Will post as soon as I can relate what Sony say. Incidentally, running the HD test program HDDScan2.8 shows clearly that the laptop reading function from the HD is hiccupping every 3 seconds and taking >500ms to read a single sector (normal reading time should be 5ms). This means the read heads are returning to rest with the clicking sound and corresponding with the orange HD activity light. B4 returning to Sony I did a complete system restore, so it's impossible for it to be a software issue. The problem first arose after an earlier Sony repair for a completely dead laptop where they put in a new motherboard. I suspect the so called "clicking problem" discussed elsewhere in this forum is identical with this symptom.

mikezoe
Visitor

As promised above I can tell you Sony are listing the following items as being replaced
HDD (MHV2100BH100GB) (S)
COMPLETE FPC FPC-41 (S)

The first is a new hard drive but what is the second item?

mikezoe
Visitor

Hurray- got the laptop back yesterday and it's at last working as it should. No more jerky video and seems to do everything twice as fast as in recent months. No clicking either.