Join now - be part of our community!

PLEASE HELP!

GRIFF91
Visitor

PLEASE HELP!

Hi, i've had windows vista for a while now, previous to vista i had windows xp media centre edition on my VGN-FE31M. After giving vista a go, i decided its not for me just yet, and want to go back to windows xp media centre edition. I am just wondering what will happen about my programmes such as, adobe photoshop, Sonicstage Mastering Studio etc. before installing vista i did create system recovery discs so would i use those? but im not too shure if they will be anygood. if this is the case would it be ok to use the application disc for vista which sony supplied with the vista upgrade disc?

Thanks

Craig

9 REPLIES 9
profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi Craig,

As long as the recovery partition has not been deleted you could try this..

Start your Vaio, when you see the Sony Vaio logo press F10 repeatedly this normally would start the recovery process..

Make sure you back up all important data first though.. :wink:

GRIFF91
Visitor

Hi, i dont want to recover my VAIO i am downgrading to windows XP from vista. :slight_smile:

Craig

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi Craig

I thought you wanted to restore XP media center and all of the pre installed applications back to your FE31M..

Is this not correct..:smileyconfused:

GRIFF91
Visitor

As it stands at the moment i am running windows vista home premium. I wish to go back to Windows XP Media Centre edition. and i am just wondering if i can use my vista applications disc supplied by sony with vista, to install the applications on XP

Sorry for any complications. i hope this is clearer

Thanks

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

As it stands at the moment i am running windows vista home premium. I wish to go back to Windows XP Media Centre edition. and i am just wondering if i can use my vista applications disc supplied by sony with vista, to install the applications on XP

Sorry for any complications. i hope this is clearer

Nope sorry I'm still confused.. [:">]

You have a FE31M, is that correct.?

You have upgraded from the pre-installed Windows MCE to Vista using the Vista Express upgrade disc's from moduslink, is that correct.?

You now want to revert back to pre-installed Windows MCE, is that correct.?

You do not want to use the FE31M original applications that were pre-installed with MCE but instead wish to use the new applications from the Vista Express upgrade disc, am I correct.?

If I am what would be the reason for this..?

GRIFF91
Visitor

YES all of your questions are correct.

but when you say re-vert, do you think that MCE is still installed on my laptop. if you do then, no it isnt. the vista upgrade disc only allowed me to do a clean install.

my reason for going back to MCE is that everything on vista seems to be goin wrong. my laptop is getting slower by the day, and takes about 5 mins to start up. wheras on MCE as soon as windows was onto my desktop, my latop was ready for use. but i cant see the problem with vista because my VGN-FE31M is more than capable.

Thanks

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

OK..

As long as you did not remove the hidden recovery partition when you installed Vista then you can still use the hidden recovery partition to revert back to windows MCE..

Start your Vaio, when you see the Sony Vaio logo press F10 repeatedly this normally would start the recovery process..

This will restore your Vaio, using the Hidden Harddrive Recovery Partition, back to the factory set Windows MCE, including all of the pre-installed applications..

GRIFF91
Visitor

THAT SOUNDS GREAT :smileygrin: THANK YOU!

but will this still work as i done the clean install of vista?

Thanks

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

but will this still work as i done the clean install of vista?

Yes as long as you did not delete the recovery partition..