Join now - be part of our community!

Motion Eye Webcam problems with Messenger software

profile.country.en_GB.title
mike9586
Visitor

Motion Eye Webcam problems with Messenger software

My Vaio laptop's Motion Eye webcam works fine with the Sony Camera Capture Utility but sometimes when I go into "Windows Live Messenger" or "Yahoo Messenger" it says the camera is in use by other software and cannot be connected to. This problem, however, always occurs when no other program is using the camera, sometimes "Windows Live Messenger" is the first program I've used and it's come up with the message.

Although the Sony Camera Capture software works fine, if the error message has appeared on either "Windows Live Messenger" or "Yahoo Messenger" first, then it refuses to work on the Sony program too.

The only ways I have found to resolve the problem is to either restart my computer or go into "Device Manager" and disable then re-enable the camera.

Can anyone help? Thanks

5 REPLIES 5
bigolie
Visitor

Hi, I had the same problem.

The thing thats causing it is skype, if you close down skype, then it should work ok.

Skype uses it for the video calling thingy.

Hope this helps you

mike9586
Visitor

Hi, I had the same problem.

The thing thats causing it is skype, if you close down skype, then it should work ok.

Skype uses it for the video calling thingy.

Hope this helps you

Thanks for your reply, I have just checked Skype, and it doesn't start when the computer starts and I haven't used it yet so it can't be the cause of my problem unfortunately. Thanks anyway.

mike9586
Visitor

When the camera does work on these programmes, it always displays a bubble over the notification area of the taskbar saying "Click here to start Vaio Camera Utility again".

Should this appear or is it a sign the program isn't working right?

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Should this appear or is it a sign the program isn't working right?

It's normal.

This allows you to reopen the Vaio Camera Utility and change the camera settings when in use.

Have you installed the Microsoft Hotfix? KB931812

What Version of Vaio Camera Capture Utility do you have installed?

:thinking:

mike9586
Visitor

Have you installed the Microsoft Hotfix? KB931812 

What Version of Vaio Camera Capture Utility do you have installed?

:thinking:

Thanks for your reply.

My software version is 2.20.00.14140

I've downloaded and installed the hotfix and so far (cross-fingers) everything is working okay. I'll keep my eye on the programs that use the camera and hopefully I won't have any more problems.