Join now - be part of our community!

Sony Vaio, Aborted Windows Update, Blank Blue Screen, Flashing White Dash Sign on Start Up.

profile.country.GB.title
sunshinez
Explorer

Sony Vaio, Aborted Windows Update, Blank Blue Screen, Flashing White Dash Sign on Start Up.

Sony Vaio, Aborted automatic Windows Update, Windows 10, Computer system failure. And, now it requires a complete restoration of the files. Solution found using Sony Assist key pad. 

On start up > Viao logo > blank blue screen with a flashing white dash sign. No Error Message. No other logos/applications on the screen. It is totally blank with a flashing dash sign in left hand corner > Problem resolved. Read below for solution.

March 2016 - Solution Found for Sony Vaio, with advice from a knowledgeable computer technician.

This happened bec I aborted the automatic update from Microsoft Windows due to electricity switch off.

This problem with blue blank screen with a flashing white dash (minus) sign in the left hand corner >>> it means the registry files have gone missing/corrupt.

I have Tested and Tried the Sony  Viao program and system and this is what I did. (Please note: The smileys come up automatically whenever there is a colon. Yes, it is annoying as it blocks info.)

FIRST THING AND VERY IMPORTANT:

You will first have to do a back up (copy files) onto external drives/ media eg a portable pc drive, from a reputable computer shop ( as CDs may not be enough. When I was doing a back up there was a message that I needed 538 GB free disk and I am glad I bought 1000GB).Below will show you how to do a back up on Sony Viao.

FIRST STAGE

HOW TO RESCUE DATA (BACK UP) ON SONY VIAO.

Allow around 8 hours to rescue data from your laptop onto a portable pc drive.

A. Sony Viao without ASSIST button.

1.  Connect your portable pc drive to your laptop. Remove USB stick and any other external media for saving files, as automatic works will take place once you press start.

2.  Connect to electricity.

3.   Switch on computer. 

4.   When Viao logo comes on the screen > Press F10 repeatedly > a white line will come up at the bottom, which will bring up a Recovery Tools page.

5.  Select Rescue Data > READ info.

6.   > Start > Next > Keep going on with Next > it will automatically save on portable pc drive (for me it was H: and on completion changed to G: ). I could not use “install driver” so I ignored it. Also, it took around 15 mins before I saw any activity for download, that is a blue line for download.

7.  Take note of the computer drive it saves on your portable drive. eg G:

8.  When completed, switch off computer.

9.   Remove portable pc drive to avoid erasures. 

B.  Sony Viao with ASSIST button

(Assist button is below the screen.)

1. Connect your portable pc drive to your laptop. Remove USB stick and any other external media for saving files, as automatic works will take place once you press start.

2. Connect to electricity.

3. Switch off computer

4. Press ASSIST button > a white line will come up at the bottom, which will bring up a Recovery Tools page.

5. Select Rescue Data > READ info.

6. > Start > Next > Keep going on with Next > it will automatically save on portable pc drive (for me it was H: and on completion changed to G:  ).  I could not use “install driver” so I ignored it.

Also, it took around 15 mins before I saw any activity for download, that is a blue line for download, and a flashing light on the portable drive. Be patient.

7.  Take note of the computer drive it saves on your portable drive. eg G: Make sure the light is flashing on the portable drive which shows that it is working.

8.   When completed, switch off computer.

9.   Remove portable pc drive to avoid erasures.

****************************************************************************************************************

SECOND STAGE

HOW TO RESTORE COMPLETE SYSTEM TO FACTORY SETTING, in my case back to Windows 7 from Windows 10.

(It took me around an hour)

1. Switch on the computer again.

2. Press Assist button.

3. Select Restore Complete System.

4. It will ask you to try to do the other two applications: Diagnostics of hardware and restore C; drive. > Click Skip as you need the one that will do more works than the other two above, unless you want to try the two above, first. > Next.

5. Question asked: Do you want to keep factory default C drive size. > Yes > Next.

6. Read info > Click I understand > Warning: once you start you cannot reverse it. When ready > Start, to download.

***************************************************************************************************************** 

THIRD STAGE

TO RETRIEVE FILES FROM EXTERNAL MEDIA, EG PORTABLE PC DRIVE ONTO YOUR C: DRIVE ON YOUR LAPTOP.

You will be copying files from the portable pc drive onto your C: drive on your laptop, using the Viao Data Restore Tool.

1.    Connect your portable pc drive to laptop, using the USB cable provided.

2.   Start > All Programs > Viao Data Restore Tool.

3.   Select your portable pc drive which for me was, My Passport G    and then you will be selecting each individual file with the wizard eg. 2016-03-17_C, 2016-03-17_D, 2016-03-17_F. They will all individually go to C: drive automatically.

(Do not select “Change Drive”, unless you want to send it to another drive, if available.)

> Press Start to download. Some may take several hours around 3-4 hours depending on its length and some could take few minutes.

4.     Check in C: drive on the list on the left side of the computer, for your personal files from the portable pc drive.

5.   *** To find your documents (Ms Word), Music, Pictures, Videos, Desktop, Favourites, etc. >>> open each file to find “User”. This is where your personal file are, as a user.

(Do not “move” files as you may lose them in the movement.) User > open each file again to find your personal files. (Ms Word documents were in Documents). The files will come inside folders.  Copy and paste the folders of your personal files >>> to each individual compartments/directories eg Documents to Documents, Pictures to Pictures, Desktop to Desktop, etc.

6.    On the list, on the left side of the laptop, open to see if files are there.

Hint: Desktop folder will only give you the list of software/programs trhat were installed previously. You will now have to re-install them all over again. Be aware that this will take a lot of internet data. So go to a place that provide free wifi to download the softwares/programs eg Ms Word.

Hint: Favourite folder - best to copy and paste it onto the desktop.

7.    Now you have your full computer back to original factory settings. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Romantic,Travel Fiction: The Green Line Divide

http://www.amazon.com/Green-Line-Divide-Romance-Turmoils/dp/0993094007/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qi...

OR

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Green-Line-Divide-Romance-Turmoils/dp/0993094007/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1423...

0 REPLIES 0